Leaking Radiator on 04 Freightliner Columbia Detroit 14L

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Felix773, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Felix773

Felix773 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Chicago
    Thanks will check that out tomorrow.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    On my Volvo it what right on the top were the hot engine coolant when into the radiator. I think the plastic was just to thin and weak and the heat over time was just to much for the black plastic. So they got hot and stuff expand when hot so it got like a hairline crack or less and the hot coolant say 200-210 when pulling a hill it would open up. On Volvo back then the plastic radiator tops were smooth so it did not have much of strength I think. I don't think any plastic radiator would be as strong as the old metal ones like the Freightliner FLDs had.

4. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I just bought an OEM radiator from Freightliner for my '07. It was $1025.

I did it myself but wouldn't recommend that unless you have a gantry crane or a shop crane with an extended arm (so you don't have to remove the hood). The whole assembly with the brackets and all probably weighs more than 100 lbs and is very unwieldy. You could probably manhandle the old one out, but getting the new one in without popping holes in it is best done with a crane.

5. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Delete

Separate issue I guess but in stop and go traffic your engine fan should be cycling keeping it at normal operating temp. It's works in conjunction with the ac compressor when the ac or defrost is on. Radiator leak obviously should be addressed but it shouldn't run that warm in stop and go traffic.

Felix773 Thanks this.
  6. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    200 degrees is not too hot, but the higher the temp the higher the pressure in the cooling system; your leak only lets coolant out at that higher temp and pressure.

It will eventually leak at all running temps, 1 gallon a day is a lot of lost coolant.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    I just bought and installed an upgraded 3 core radiator from Detroit Radiator. It's an all metal design with non of that plastic BS. It weighs a few lb more but it's well worth it. I'm pretty happy with it so far, about do do my first load with it over the pass so I'll see if it's cooling better the the stock 2 core.

I paid $675 shipped to my door, much better than the $1100 the dealer wanted for another plastic one. Took less than 2 hours to change but I did have my hood off for some body repairs so with the hood on it's probably a 3-4 hour job? Longest part was draining the coolant into buckets. It only has 20k miles on it so I didn't want to dump it.

[​IMG]

BigNorm4Life Thanks this.
  8. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    Good luck, if it still uses water with the new radiator it is "pushing water", that means engine compression is finding its way into the cooling system.

Felix773 Thanks this.
  9. dlstruck

dlstruck Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2016
    Also, what temp does your fan come on at? Mine was pretty high before, close to 220 degrees. I installed a manual override switch so I can turn it on whenever I wanted. It's really easy, just need to run a wire from the air solenoid to a switch in the cab.

Felix773 Thanks this.
  10. Felix773

Felix773 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Chicago
    Yes mine turn on at 220 as well. Truck is in shop right now. Hopefully it is just a bad radiator.

11. Felix773

Felix773 Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2017
    Chicago
    I will keep an eye on it hopefully it is just a bad radiator.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.