Learning Standard?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rctruck87, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    I have never heard that if you shift below 1000 or less you wouldn’t have to match the gears. Truly a great post in my opinion .

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Yeah it's a little trick they told me when I started driving. Drivers don't need all the power to get rolling. Plus matching the gears in low range is very hard.

5. TTNJ

TTNJ Heavy Load Member

Nov 21, 2017
    And this works when floating the gears?

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

It's the hat rack between driver and passenger seats.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This thread is a bit old so I won't quote the OP, I think getting into a school that will help a driver get an unrestricted CDL is for the best. I might be a minority of one on this. However, the quickest success when it comes to learning to drive a manual is to stop watching the gauges and pay attention to the sounds of the engine. Once you learn how to read those RPMs by the sound you have it!

I was talking about this very topic several months ago at breakfast. One of the things that helps a student pilot is keeping their attention outside and listening to the slipstream to gauge airspeed. It's just easier to do it by sound. Keep watching that tach you will not learn it as quickly.

copperdome and Truckermania Thank this.
  8. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    This is a standard.
    77319065_10156499153941850_8784519339475730432_n.jpg

Truckermania Thanks this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Yeah you can float the grears or double clutch it should not make any difference because you don't have to match the gears. If you float the grears just take foot off throttle and pull back on the shifter and it should slide out and into the next gear.

10. copperdome

copperdome Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2019
    Exactly. I feel like that’s the only way to do it. I once borrowed a kenworth with a paccar engine when I was use to a Cummins. Forget about trying to do it by the gauge at that point. Not to mention it’s distracting to constantly look at the gauges.

That being said, it’s really easy. I was grinding gears on the trip up to Ohio from WV, and by the trip back I didn’t fudge anything. The difference was the engine, and I hadn’t used anything with a splitter before.

Don’t let it trip you out and if you are really bad at it you might try splitting every gear (when loaded) at first even in the low side, it’s pretty hard to mess it up if your doing it that way.

Also one big tip would be when pulling across a divided highway or pulling thru busy intersections, you might want to just pick a gear and stay in it until you’re thru. The same thing applies to ascending and descending steep grades, you might pick a gear before you start up/down the hill and just stay in it.

11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I agree that with a manual transmission it is best to "listen" to the engine. I've not driven a manual in decades but that is exactly how I learned. But I was also "rocking" the manual 4X4 truck in and out of mud holes at 14. No need for a license in the FL swamps. lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.