Learning to do own maintenance

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by John Bertucci, Jul 12, 2019.

1. John Bertucci

John Bertucci Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Good idea man I’ve been looking at those!

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Unless you can get something in the 2017-2018 range I’d get pre-egr for sure. I’ve heard good things about the X15 Cummins performance series and they’re starting to pop up in newer used trucks. And I’ve had good luck with my 2017 Paccar MX13. Out in the middle year’s like you’re talking I think it would be a crap shoot unless you found a good solid DD15. Just my opinion anyhow.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  4. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    The good and the bad. Emissions truck will likely be lower miles due to age. Emissions truck will likely get better fuel economy. Emissions truck is newer and hopefully fleet maintained so it wasn't run by an OO that couldn't afford to maintain it before he decided to sell it to you. you want to work on them? Tools...that's the hard part. I have about 200k in tools, you won't need all that but you aren't getting by on $500 worth either. The tools to work on the truck are mostly the same no matter what year it is, sockets up to 1 1/2" , seal drivers, etc. Learning to work on them isn't too bad, when I would train guys I would always tell them not to overthink it. It's just but and bolt, nothing more nothing less. Don't let an inanimate object beat you. I personally as someone who works on these things would recommend a newer truck. Most of the ones that come thru the shop that the owner "fixes and maintains" are ####ing horrible. You know how the difference between being a driver and a steering wheel holder? When it comes to working on them are you a technician or a parts changer? Most parts changers can't even do that right. Go for the newer truck, do they break down....yes. do they break down every three days like everyone makes it sound....no. That is unless you wanna be Billy big rigger the big hood bad ### and drive a clapped out old truck that probably should have been ol yellered years ago lol.

John Bertucci and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    In all honesty if you want a newer truck, & already wrench on the series 60, go with a glider before they disappear. Lots of nice Pete's, Kenny's, Shakers, & Stars in the truck papers. The Western Star 4900 flattop is one beautiful ride IMHO. Glider kits give the o/o with mechanical skills a nice option..

D.Tibbitt, Long FLD and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  6. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I agree with ya..except fleet maintenance. Some mayby, some oo mayby. 30,000 miles or more between grease and oil changes is to long for me. My truck gets greased every 2 weeks. Oil every 15,000. Yes its a older engine. Not the new 30,000 to 50, 000 oil change intervals. Just depends who owned the truck. Both owner opps and fleets can be very poor at maintenance. But..a big mega that trades every 2 to 4 years is not doing a lot of preventive maintence. They leave that for the next owner. JMO.

7. stillwurkin

Dec 2, 2017
    Thats mean lol.

8. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    Agreed, there are some fleets out there that run the trucks into the ground. The only mega I can speak for with their service schedule is trans am. They do a great job keeping up with maintenance. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their trucks..that being said, they can't control how much #### people hit and run over with them lol.

stillwurkin Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    1) you'll need a laptop and the software for whatever engine you choose. The only one I absolutely would not get is a Paccar engine. Detroit, Cummins, Volvo ok.

2) Do you have a place to wrench? I mean it's 12 gallons of oil your changing. My fuel filters hold almost a gallon, you need some space and the right equipment and tools. Air compressor is a must.

3) I have the worst engine ( per the esteemed members of this site ) ever produced by Cummins. I've missed 1 load in 2 years. Second truck has a DD15, he's missed 0.

4) You just need to be smarter than the inanimate object you're working on.

5) I've had sensors go bad. But you get them fixed. Not rocket science. Yes it costs money, but everything does.

6) Had the DPF replaced. Was like $2400. It's the cost of doing business.

86scotty, FlaSwampRat and stillwurkin Thank this.
  10. stillwurkin

Dec 2, 2017
    How old or miles on DPF?. Jus curious as i may get one in the future. One never knows what may come along.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    They last varying on idling and oil consumption. This one was new last July. About 4 months ago it was on a laptop and they said it was only like 22% full.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.