Learning to drive in the winter?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jmarc77, Oct 19, 2021.

1. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    Hi all,

I'm relatively new here and I'm planning on getting my CDL very soon. I want to go into flatbed and I've been doing a lot of researching and homework into different schools, companies, etc. After looking around and talking in depth with some drivers who have been through different company schools I believe I know what company I want to apply to.

Currently I'm employed and have a steady paycheck, and I was going to try to make it through the winter in this job and then leave but I'm increasingly unhappy here and I'm ready to move on now.

Which leads me to my question, is the winter a bad time to start truck driving? Obviously the road conditions are less than ideal and tarping and strapping doesn't get any easier with ice and snow, but is it worth it to hold off until spring? Hoping some of you experienced drivers can shed some light on this. Thanks!

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    I'd stay put till Spring. Learning to drive a truck in the snow, not a good idea.

4. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    That was my initial thought, I also didn't think I'd grow this miserable this fast at work. I'd quit now but I really don't want to leave any employment gaps in my resume.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. okiedokie

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Take a deep breathe & gut it out.
    You know trucking ain't all it's cracked up to be. Frozen tarps in the Winter, throwing iron, shut down roads. Oh the list goes on. Its just a bad idea to learn trucking in the Winter.

Mototom, D.Tibbitt, jmarc77 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    From a newer driver. I say the opposite. I did my orientation during the winter. Last year. Going through snow with a trainer with experience driving. Helped me out a lot. I was much better prepared. Than if I had hit that first snow storm on my own.

7. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I think winter is a good time to learn as long as your trainer has winter experience.

Much better to learn how to chain and drive in adverse conditions when you have someone with you that's experienced.

In fact they should only let new people start in the winter.

8. okiedokie

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Good points. I forgot that you learn with a trainer. Not the case back in the day.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If winter driving was too dangerous for cdl school students, then schools would close during winter months.
    Get started!

10. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    The schools don't care. They're getting you the license. After that. You're the Megas problem. LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.