Learning to drive in the winter?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jmarc77, Oct 19, 2021.

1. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    My current job is outdoor physical labor, in all weather conditions, so I'm accustomed to that part of it. I'm no stranger to physical labor and cold weather.

This is another train of thought I had. Learn to drive in the winter and I'll be better off than trying to learn it months later. Get practice driving in the snow with a trainer and be better prepared to do it on my own.

Appreciate the vote of confidence. I talked with a friend of mine who is a truck driver, he is going to try to set me up with his old trainer.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Getting a CDL is easy. Keeping it is hard work.

snowman1980 and okiedokie Thank this.
  4. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    that way you can get used to this at an early age.

Attached Files:

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    It's all relative..
    I'd agree it would be a better choice to learn slick and cold conditions from a experienced driver.
    Winter is always just a cold front away anyhow. 20190309_165115.jpg 20171229_233913.jpg

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Or a butane torch.
    De-ice spray only does so much. The torch will heat the entire lock.

It can also help free up frozen brakes.

7. WrightTrucker33

WrightTrucker33 Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2019
    Houston
    Actually the best time but will be a trail by fire so to speak. You will have your trainer to help and you’ll be better for it. I trained in the summer so all I saw was rain and wind when winter hit I was solo on 81 in Hagerstown ing bricks lol. If your ready go for it!

faux_maestro and jmarc77 Thank this.
  8. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    Appreciate all the advice. I'm gonna give things a bit to settle down here, hopefully they calm down some. Yesterday was a particularly bad day at work but I'd like to try to get through the holidays here. I've only been in this job for 4 months and it has given me a lot of relevant experience as far as loading, unloading, what is safe and not safe to send down the road and learning DOT regulations as far as understanding log books, pre and post trip inspections, strapping, clearance, width and height restrictions, etc. Definitely something worth putting on a resume.

kylefitzy Thanks this.
  9. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    And when to drive outside of your comfort zone. You won’t get better if you always stay the same. Driving outside of your comfort zone is not the same as driving outside of abilities.

10. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I started in the winter and the first load they gave me was to Rome New York. Drove in the winter of the northeast for three months straight before getting a load down south.

No reason to put it off. If anything you will have more opportunities available to you this time of the year.

jmarc77 and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    well, now that you mention it, the 2 schools i did work at??

we did not allow students on the roads during snow storms, or even a "few snow flakes", or the threat of snow that day.

as a result, many would call the school on a "snowy day" and ask if they'd be going on the road. when told NO, all trucks for the road will be parked, the students stayed home.

main reasons being, they were not experienced to begin with, and the 4 wheeler drivers here (like any place else?) slip and slide and crash. no need for a school to get into that BS, just for road times.

jmarc77 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.