Lease purchase? YES or NO?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by THE AWALK, Mar 12, 2022.

1. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    First thing you have to do is get a whole new mindset. It doesn't sound like you've planned any of this out or prepared yourself financially for the jump. Unless your business plan was to just jump into a lease and see where it goes, with an easy buyout (eject button).

Take a step back, do some research, most of all put some money away. Right now is an excellent time to do both of those if you're still a company driver. Whatever you decide best of luck, it's tough getting started with no money in the bank.

gentleroger and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    It takes a strong work ethic to make a lease work. I even knew a guy who made a Prime lease work but I think the best lease is one where you pick your own loads.

jeff18 and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. THE AWALK

THE AWALK Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2022
    Modesto
    What if I’m the first and only owner of the new truck that I lease.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Then you'll be paying 1000 bucks or more off top weekly for your truck note. That comes out of your settlement like child support does, so if you don't work, then you're screwed.

gentleroger and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. THE AWALK

THE AWALK Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2022
    Modesto
    I have money in the bank for stand by. I don’t want to put all my money into a used truck with 300,000 to 500,000. Then go lease on to a company. To get my own Authority and insurance. Is a lot more. That is why I thought about leasing so I can keep my emergency fund.

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  7. THE AWALK

THE AWALK Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2022
    Modesto
    Yes that I totally understand. That goes with all jobs if you don’t work you don’t get paid.

jeff18 Thanks this.
  8. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I don't think all leases are necessarily bad. It can work if you get with the right people and you have some cash stacked. I have a friend who recently left P&S Transportation. His truck kept breaking down repeatedly, since last summer. It was starting to get up in age. They fronted him the money to get some major tranny work done, but it never got back right. The repairs kept snowballing to the point where they decided to sell it behind his back(he had 1 year left on the lease) or so he claims. They started getting new trucks and they floated the idea to take out a new lease. I actually suggested he do that, because his money wasn't so great to be taking care of an aging truck. Then with some companies, the minute you pay the truck off, they quit giving you good loads. I'd say it works for the most part with P&S. I think if he worked harder and had a willingess to run anywhere, he would have made a killing because he was getting good rates. Where people screw up I think is taking too much time off for no reason. Some may get a 6000 check for instance, and decide not to work for 2 weeks. Doesn't make sense.

bzinger, Badmon and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  9. bryan21384

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Yup, but it's different with the lease, because then you get checks in the red.

Badmon and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  10. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    gentleroger, JoeTruck and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. THE AWALK

THE AWALK Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2022
    Modesto
    Yes that is true. If you don’t work you don’t make money. My goal is to own a truck, by getting a loan or doing a lease purchase. He got a old truck thinking it was going to work. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don’t. I figured if I’m going to do something I might as well start fresh and new. So I know I have to work hard and save money along the way. My home cost are nothing. Thanks for the feed back.

D.Tibbitt and bryan21384 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.