Lease, Rent or Buy?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by KCbrother, Jul 9, 2018.

1. KCbrother

KCbrother Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Looking to start a trucking business, want to see what the best option is for acquiring 2 trucks and trailers. Should I lease, purchase or rent them at first?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Do you have a CDL yourself?

4. KCbrother

KCbrother Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2018
  5. KCbrother

KCbrother Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2018
    No - I have 2 family members that will be driving

6. Topzr

Topzr Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Here is the pros and cons.
    Lease If you get into a lease agreement it’s definitely harder to get out of the agreement typically speaking leases are very dangerous. Unless you’re 110% committed and to getting your truck. I’ll give you an example of a dangerously’s yeah I will pay for four years but you pay it off sooner it doesn’t matter you’ll still owe the compound interest they tacked onto the lease agreement so please read very closely and carefully.

Purchasing a semi truck is the best way to go if you have the capital for owning it out right right off the bat you know what you want to do then get to it no questions asked it’s just that you’ll have less capital to play with but you should be able to make it up in time. Preferably by newer semi trucks

Renting a semi truck very interesting it’s up-and-down you can rent a Penske truck for a really good price but it will eat you and cents per mile. Unless you get some sort of fleet account for discounted rates. Typically speaking rental trucks have been beaten to hell and back the rentals people treat them like Rentals are smelly dirty and unkept. At least if the vehicle breaks down the rental company will take care of the maintenance to the vehicle but don’t forget about your downtime while your rental is under repair or waiting for a replacement.

What did I do I got a lease to purchase program but don’t let that sway you I’m learning toO

KCbrother Thanks this.
  7. KCbrother

KCbrother Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Awesome, thank you for the insight. This helps a ton.

I will probably go with the purchase option but the thing that worries me now is how to find the best truck for the least amount lol. I am looking for 2 day cab trucks but no clue as to how to tell its quality or not...

8. Topzr

Topzr Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2018

Straightforward call local mechanics in the area Tell them your situation tell them about the semi truck you plan on purchasing generally speaking mechanics will give you a rundown if it’s worth their time to come by and inspect the vehicle. I will charge a fordable feed to inspect it for you I am sure of it they might even run a little diagnostic on it it’s a portable so it would be easy for them to see what’s wrong with it. That way you can be able to purchase any semi truck anywhere in any state. There’s some local website you can go to to look for semi trucks That’s the best way to prove the worth of a vehicle. Generally speaking you can really assess a vehicle yourself.

If you know what you’re looking for. For example walk up to the vehicle at the dealership or at a local semi trucks selling yard browse at all their options don’t go to the vehicle you came to get first and run straight to play the game play the dealer at the dealership if he sees you gone straight for the truck you came therefore he will make sure you pay full price make yourself seem a little not interested

Some red flags look out for have you change the oil on the semi truck? If they did they might be hiding the fact that the engine has ground it it’s self two little tiny bit and you wouldn’t be able to tell because they just change the oil on purpose .

Other red flags look out for Go to try to start the vehicle if it doesn’t crank up the first time or they had to turn off the electrical system to save the battery there may be an electrical issue that is draining the battery rapidly typically speaking semi trucks can sit out for a good while before the batteries will even think about dying most of my trucks come with 12 pack of batteries big boys that’s enough to on the clock on the dash for the next 12 years LOL

KCbrother Thanks this.
  9. KCbrother

KCbrother Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2018
    #### good advice, thank you! I will make sure to check on all of those things when I get there. Definitely not looking forward to playing the dealer game that is always annoying.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If you are asking, you need not to bother. The truck acquisition is the least of the issues.

11. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Why do you want to start a trucking business ???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.