Leasing a car for an owner operator business?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Technically using it for the purpose of going to and from the truck for work would not be legal. The IRS has a commuter clause that prohibits that.

But, you can use the vehicle (I’d advise a pickup) to go check on the truck or work on it.

Rideandrepair, 062 and TallJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    True, travel to and from your place of employment is not a deductible expense. That would include tolls and all the related items. Your place of employment would be where you park your truck. If you pay any rents for that parking location, it is deductible.

Rideandrepair, 062 and TallJoe Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I did not know about the commuter clause. The primary reason for the lease would not fly at an IRS audit then.

If that's the case, can I realistically justify the lease or business purchase of a vehicle for one truck operation and explain mileage accrued one way or another at all?

On the other hand, how would it be different from buying another tractor which rarely gets used for haul for hire and instead just sits on a parking lot and most of the time is used for Personal Conveyance?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Rideandrepair and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  5. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    To Tall Joe.
    Do you need a new car? A used car if just off a lease still has a warranty. Or just buy an older vehicle for cheap.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I discussed this with my accountant a while back except a purchase, not lease. Many people do this. You can claim a certain percentage business and personal like 80/20 or whatever works for you.

Rideandrepair and TallJoe Thank this.
  7. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I still look at all options. I thought that if I were able to write off the lease payments then it could work better than buying a used car. The lease payments on a new car do not seem that much higher than the 5 year long pay off installments of a 3-5 year old car, provided of course that you can keep it under 12k miles a year which in my case would not be a problem. I don't want anything older than 5 years and more than 100K miles either.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Anyway, this seems to be a grey area. While I can see a fleet owner needing a vehicle to manage his fleet but it is getting more shady if an individual owner op wants to have one too to manage his 1 truck and trailer fleet.
    I guess this depends, like in many other things, on how daring someone is and his ability to prove that he needs that vehicle for any other use than a truck parking commuting. Driving around and solicit shippers, transporting truck parts, traveling to Kevin Rutherford's' seminars.... are a few uses that come to mind.

9. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Given the very low mileage you would be using it every year, I dont think those usages are unreasonable at all

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    As a fleet owner, I don't rack up the miles to justify a lease, I had a customer who made the claim of sales calls do the owners of the place leased vehicles in the company name to write it off but they also had their annual stockholders meeting in some far away land, I heard last year was Austrailia.

Anywho, taking mileage from the house (place of business) to my Detroit yard (another place of business) to Indiana (another place of business), I record the mileage with help of my custom note pad in the car or truck, I don't give reasons though, been asked at an audit and told the girl "it is for business".

Do I stop occasionally to get something?

Hell yes, last month instead of making the trip back through Ohio on 24, I went up to i69 and the turnpike to get lottery tickets for my wife (don't ask). BUT I also stopped at the t/s to pick up trade journals (wink wink).

One month I had to make three trips up to the thumb area for negotiations, I stopped at a place to pick up car parts for one of my cars.

Rideandrepair and TallJoe Thank this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Hello, I'm with the IRS. We've subpoenaed your IP address and identification from this forum...all you tax cheaters will be receiving a tax audit notice very soon. That means any of you who were even THINKING about cheating us out of our tax revenue!

LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.