Leasing at Prime

Discussion in 'Prime' started by ironpony, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    That's quite a change... including the size of the down payment. The previous system was $10k on a two-year note for a used truck (including the one you're currently leasing) under 450k miles, or $9k on a brand-spankin' new one. I'm curious... were the terms written into your current lease as part of the buyout option?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. silenteagle

silenteagle Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ozark, MO
    The ace lease has an ammortized schedule that shows your monthly progress. It shows the payoff weekly. All costs are listed in the lease as well.

4. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    So the conversion from a regular lease to ACE lease is specified in the terms then - and the reduction in downpayment? That would be part of the new lease contract they started using in 2010. I'm not sure that lowering the bar to ownership through a lowered down is necessarily a good thing for many drivers though. The habit of saving has been greatly reduced over the years, and one thing a owner-op needs even more than a lease-op is operating cash.

5. silenteagle

silenteagle Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ozark, MO
    Sorry IP, I misunderstood your question. The terms for conversion are not in the standard lease. We pursued the change by discussing it with Success Leasing. As far as the driver rating and the reduced downpayment, it is very very hard to get your rating above 3 within your first year of driving. I would think that very few new drivers would get the reduction, and most would not make the money for the downpayment that fast.

6. heavychevy

heavychevy Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2011
    tacoma, wa
    Hmmm the idea entices me. Considering I'm gonna be divorced, have no kids, and my only bills are a cell phone and cheap rent with a friend. Ill see how my Hawaiian bro does first

7. Skateboard1956

Skateboard1956 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Marcellus, mi
    How's freight pay on the flatbed side? Same game, short runs pay better then the long runs??
    Just curious. It's all in knowing how the game is played. If its first come first dispatched how do you know if your getting the best paying load??

8. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Ive spoken to a few l/o on the fb side. They were happy. Not sure bout exactly how the lease works. Its all about creating a good relationship with your FM. Take care of them, they take care of you.

9. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    AMA is the guy on the flatbed side. He doesn't post here much though.

Basically, depending on the revenue for said short runs. Minimizing expenses is the name of the game.

You don't, but that's where trusting your business partner... i.e., your FM comes in. They're paid a base plus a percentage based on the success of their board - meaning how well you do, so feeding you bad loads is detrimental to their paycheck.

EnesteVarg Thanks this.
  10. Skateboard1956

Skateboard1956 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Marcellus, mi
    Thanks. Well as a company driver and then an o/o my dispatchers used to all bring me to town and take me to dinner. Of course we had paper logs then so I would run my ##### off and be home every weekend. Now you can't do that, and they can't think you will either. I've ran from Dallas to to the west coast in a day and a half so I could get a good load out by noon.
    Im not interested in that anymore, but driving 10 hrs a day isn't bad.
    Left north Carolina one afternoon after 4 and was in Cairo, il by six the next morning. That sh## will kill you. I don't want any of that any more. Guess that's where the elogs stop them from even trying to push you that hard.
    Thanks

11. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    My FM knows how hard I can run. He keep me moving, but knows I need a break sometimes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.