LED light; parts of a light going out

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Ebola Guy, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    One of my truck's brake/signal LED is starting to fail. It has 6 cells and some are not lighting up. How many have to fail before it is considered Out of Service?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MachoCyclone

MachoCyclone Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Texas
    I am not 100% on this, but I don't think there is a set number that can be non functional before considered a ticket. I think it is up to the officer whether to issue you the ticket for it.

4. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    That's a strange question but a legit one. I was taught if it's there it has to work properly. I would say that's 50/50 depending what leo you run into. They have standards how far they must be seen from. Losing some of the LEDs lowers that distance. It's on it's way out so just go ahead and replace it.

That's about 100 pages just on the light bulbs. The best I can tell the photometry has to be so much luminous intensity. Sorting through the maze I think I interpreted 5 times as bright as the tail lights and 60% of it's luminous intensity. First you need a photometer. Don't hold me to it. You can read the mess. I rather buy you a bulb! :)

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/fmvss108text.htm

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    them led lights aren't cheqp.

6. Ebola Guy

Ebola Guy Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Manitowoc, WI
    I also heard that 50% have to fail before it is OOS but I thought I'd ask the gallery.

7. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA
    You are talking about State Patrol and DOT Officers. That's like predicting the weather. Hope they are in a good mood, i'am sure they can write you up with 1LED out, out of 6.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.