Legal CDL trailer no IFTA/IRP!

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Xray4, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Kwswan thanks. I was thinking I would try to avoid ifta and IRP in the beginning to get my feet wet without too much hassle and oversight and regulation. Sure I need to make sure I keep the balance of regulation with what I'm doing staying under 26000 pounds but getting a trailer that's likely rated for more etc etc. But it just kind of seemed like a good first step. Would you recommend otherwise? And if so why?what are the other things you refer to in trucking that are more difficult or complicated than dealing with ifta and IRP?

Lite bug, singlescrewshaker and kwswan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Thank you for the suggestion, I will certainly look into the broker section. Once I have numbers and things look more long term i plantplan go out and knock on doors and meet brokers and shippers in my local area. Having been in the travel industry until covid has shut us down for the foreseeable future my family is pretty used to me being away from home and hotshotting has been something that I've been interested in for a long time. I appreciate your comments about the 7000 pound single tandems causing issues. Was definitely my impression and that's why I figured I would take advantage of the class A and get something that is a bit more suited but try to make it work without too much paperwork and effort with running over 26000 pounds. Realistically I'm trying to do this without having to change out my truck until I know it's something that I want to do long-term. My truck's not the best suited for hot shot because it is a single rear wheel one ton and so I'm well aware that after 6 months if it's something that I'm going to be doing longer-term, I'll be changing that truck out for a dually. who knows maybe I would even go class 8 or just a bigger rig. The point however remains the same that I'm trying to getting to it and get my feet wet without jumping headfirst into the deep end just yet.. as far as maintenance goes it's understandable that the more miles and the harder you run no more maintenance required and it's not something I'm afraid of, again I just don't want to start off with the wrong trailer and find myself kicking myself in the foot off the bat!

Lite bug and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  4. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Cool thing about them Crossman's is they are all huck bolted. Only welds on that trailer are the stake pockets & rub rail.. You are correct, finding a good aluminum welder will be a bit more difficult & costly..

To each their own. I can see your concern, but a quality aluminum wagon that isn't abused should hold up for a long time. I run an all aluminum stepdeck with no worries about it. I went with aluminum for the weight savings as I still run a fairly light operation myself @54,999lbs, with a single axle semi..

As for the IFTA & IRP conversation, it only seems more daunting than it really is. All you have to do is record your mileage every time you cross a state line,(jurisdiction) & record how many gallons of fuel you buy in each state..

Hell, I just write my odometer down each time I cross a line, then subtract from the miles from the previous state. Even easier, a truck GPS will automatically record it too. Then you just use those same miles for IRP when you go to renew you tags next year. Its really quite simple..

But on the flip side, I also would not run over 26k with a single rear tire truck. Honestly, I wouldn't run a hotshot at any weight with a single tire truck, but that's just me. Way to easy to overload the tires. I'm not saying doing it is wrong, but I'm personally not a fan..

5. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Yes! It's exactly what I've been thinking. I'm thinking I can do a little bit of a soft entry into this industry with the truck I have and see how long it takes to pay off the trailer. Once I see the feasibility of it all, upgrade to a dually, increase gross vehicle weight rating, and file for IRP and IFTA.

I certainly have no desire to put more than 26,000 lb combined on this rig. I just don't feel confident doing it with a SRW.

That being said I do think it could be a decent route to get into the industry without too much financial pressure and regulatory overhead.

Just need to find the right trailer now. Ultimately deciding between maxing out the length or going shorter and maxing out the available weight

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  6. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    So I switched from hotshot to a single drive axle semi Dec '17. I've been out of the light duty stuff for a few years. With that said this is what I'd look at if I had the same mindset you are currently in..

I'm not really a Big Tex fan, but if you're not really going to be loading it to the max weight, I'd consider the 22GN. I don't like them because this model uses 12", 16lb per foot beam, where most others in this class use 12", 19lb per foot, some 22lb per foot beam.. It flexes to much for my liking, especially in the 40'er. The 36' & shorter could be a good compromise, or even the 40' if not loading 16k lbs on deck..

I'd probably get the 36' straight tail. Then dump the duals for a single tire, aluminum wheel, 235/75r17.5 load range J. That will save another 240lbs. Then you got your 10k dexter axles, the lightest, cheapest steel wagon, & "most" states allow 4' rear overhang so you can still load a 40' container on there..

Do you know what your 350 weighs? That 36' big tex with super single 17.5's will weigh ~7000lb.
    Add 500-1000lbs for gear.
    Hopefully you can get your 350 down around ~8000lb. (My dually was 8500)
    If you can get down ~15500, or 16000lb tare weight, that'd leave 10,000-10,500 lb for freight. Might stand a chance. I'd prefer 12-13,000lbs for freight, but that's hard to get with a 24k-25k rated wagon. Now you know why sub 26k guys are running 14lb per foot beam trailers, & 7k axles..

Screenshot_20200809-012012_Samsung Internet.jpg

24kHotshot and Lite bug Thank this.
  7. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Thanks Shaker I'll check it out. Once fueled with 100g aux tank I think the truck will be close to 8500, but really need to get weighed to know. Will do Monday. I'm getting anxious that I'll be in a 6500 or fl70 type sooner than later :/ I never seem to take things slow when I spend so much time thinking it through to keep it small to start...

8. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Part of the issue is you are wanting to run light, with equipment made to run heavier loads. You really need to spec light weight if you want to run light weight profitably..

Might think I'm crazy, but this is what I'd spec if going into a less than 26k outfit.. unnamed-2.jpg

A '98.5, or '99 2nd gen dodge, 5 speed, ext cab, dually 2wd. Pull the box, got a 6200lb truck. ELD exempt, & I like vp44 trucks. If you prefer full mechanical, get a '94-'98.. (4 speed auto is fine too, but will probably need to rebuild it with upgraded parts for $4-$5000.)

I also think the new Fleetneck's look really promising. Finally an engineered beam like a real semi trailer. See in the bottom pic how it curves up before the axle like a semitrailer.? Light weight & strong. Finally, something that looks serious..

8k oil bath axles
    17.5 tire
    Aluminum 17.5 wheels
    Spec a 34'-40' straight tail depending on just how light they really are. Have to call, as I don't see weights listed on web site yet. (Big tex 35+5 16GN says it weighs 6330lb)
    If the Fleetneck can match that ~6300lb.?!
    Add 6200 dodge +
    6300 trailer + 500lb tiedown gear. 13,000lb tare weight
    13000lb payload in a sub 26k outfit, with 40' of deck, & eld exempt in a pre egr/dpf/def rig sounds like a winning combo to this guy..

Screenshot_20200809-020316_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200809-020150_Samsung Internet.jpg

9. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Shaker always got some good data.

10. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Ya that is pretty stout. You've given some great suggestions, thank you. So I think I have a pretty good idea of options to look at once I put 30000 miles or so on the 350 and get a good feel for things.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  11. Xray4

Xray4 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2020
    Thanks lite bug. I'm thinking starting there, with the minimum weight freight to cover expenses and earn some revenue and see how it goes. Shorter and lighter at first and then see what changes need to be made.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.