Legalize Engine (Jake) Brakes

Discussion in 'Truckers Strike Forum' started by GlobalCannibal77, Jun 28, 2011.

1. SmokeyCowboy009

SmokeyCowboy009 Heavy Load Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Watertown, WI
    if yall have ever pulled out of Wycliffe ky dont use it comin back into town from the mill. its 5k ticket. and that no joke. no i aint got one but its posted as you come down the hill and right before the edge of town.

I agree tho that folks need to be more sympathetic to our need as it arises but having it on all the time is just plain foolish in so many ways.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Svoray

Svoray Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Texas
    I would fight that one for #### sure!

4. GlobalCannibal77

GlobalCannibal77 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Like I said before, if the noise is the problem, they need to enforce the already on the books noise pollution laws. The fact that they have the sign/laws there, mean whether it makes noise or not you can get a ticket... Fight for your rights, before they are taken away. That is all I am saying, and I am giving you one of the options out there on how to fight. I am not a trucker, but support trucker rights. I would love more ideas on how to fight it, but for now, I see this as the quickest solution. But it will only work with a large group of truckers doing it...

5. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Dont forget about the people who move near the Amish and complain about the smell of horse poop!

Injun Thanks this.
  6. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    If these things go to court that is normally how they decide. Who was there 1st. If you moved next to the highway at the bottom of Vail=well tough. But if you were there and they built the hwy or expanded it you may get them to have noise laws. Just like a golf course. Move next to an existing one and they can break all your windows they like.
    Just use some common sense. If you need them use them. If you just want a little use one stage. etc. At bottom of long grade I dont care what sign says. I'm probably going to have them on.

Cowmobile Thanks this.
  7. Svoray

Svoray Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Texas
    Yes sir, I agree.

8. Jeepintrucker

Jeepintrucker Light Load Member

you cant hear mine on high setting on the isx i drive

9. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I got that one beat. There's a tiny little town way out in the woods in southern Missouri that has a sign up. You pop over a hill on the two lane and it's posted: No jake brake, $20,000 fine. No, I did not misread it. I about choked and read it again to be sure.

10. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Lookin' for a date you mean.

To be honest, I fart louder than my engine brake, so I ignore all signs like that.

11. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    [​IMG]

These rules aren't in place to take away "rights", as you put it. Why are there engine brake restrictions? Because truckers abuse the engine brake. The only feasible time when a engine brake is needed is when you're going down a steep hill, like Donners Pass or Cabbage Pass. If you need it to maintain a speed while going through a city or town, then you're driving too fast, and you're in the wrong gear. Remember that you're in a 80,000 LB truck and not a 2,000 LB car. If you drive like a rock in the river, you will rarely need the engine brake.

Engine brakes are more effective when the RPM's are high and you're in a lower gear. If you're in too high of a gear, or your RPM's are low, all the engine brake is doing is making noise.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.