Legalize Engine (Jake) Brakes

Discussion in 'Truckers Strike Forum' started by GlobalCannibal77, Jun 28, 2011.

1. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    If the idiots that program 2 second yellow lights (or less) kept that in mind, then maybe I wouldn't need the engine brake. I've no intention of adding to the coating of skid marks leading up to every one of those lights. Tires are expensive and they don't pay for them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. THBatMan8

THBatMan8 Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    The simple answer to that is you're driving too fast. Yes, lights are timed based on your ability to stop at the posted speed; so that should conclude that you need to be driving slower than the posted speed limit. Because it takes longer to stop the truck. If the posted limit is 45, drive 40 or 35. Remember that it is still your fault if you run a red light and t-bone another vehicle.

Traffic signals don't take variables into account.

4. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    The people who program them are supposed to. And yes, of course I drive slower. They are still so short that trucks have trouble stopping. Add the roughness of the road that they won't fix because they're too busy pocketing the funds that are supposed to be used for that and the stopping distance without a jake is increased even further.

No, I will not drive 20mph everywhere. That's re-tarded.

5. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    Funny thing, though, most big-truck drivers don't do that. My own personal, non-scientific observation is it's usually dump trucks and local day cabs doing that.

Best we not forget the all intrusive bull hauler dropping into nowhere Oklahoma sleepy town with a big engine and straights at 2am. Right after he pulls it down he starts grabbing gears and spooling it up again. You don't have to be next to the road to hear this guy either.

Don't think this will stick? Try this: The town of Stafford Texas became very affluent in the 90's but there was a freight track running through the town and the town folks got teaked at the Federally required horn blast at the intersections. Might be 7 or 8 along US 90.....somehow.......they got the Feds to waive the horn requirement and UP to install electric horns at every intersection...no sheet. The train no longer blows his horn.

For those of you whom do not know the UPRR....these folks don't do anything they don't want too. They are the epitome of arrogance. I mean why not? The have about the only game in town.

6. THBatMan8

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    If you took variables into account the the light would stay at yellow too long and hold up traffic, creating a bottleneck. You know as well as I do that when 4 wheelers see a yellow light, they accelerate in a attempt to beat the red.

How about this concept:

Instead of a ban on engine brakes, how about a ban on 4 wheelers?

BTW, nice pun. :biggrin_2559:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  7. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Nice job catching it. :biggrin_25525:

You don't have to take all the variables into account. They should know better than to put a 1 second yellow on a 55mph 4 lane though. And if they were worried about backing up traffic, they'd change the timing based on the time of day and when traffic is higher. As it is, they're on the same timer at 3am as they are at noon.

While we can't ban 4 wheelers, they could at least give us better truck routes through populated areas. Maybe widen the turns instead of building concrete walls for trucks to drag their trailers across because there's just no space.

8. THBatMan8

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    Not that I'm doubting you, but I have never seen a light cycle in 1 sec from a 55 mph zone.

9. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I hadn't either so of course I wasn't expecting it. I can't even remember where they were but the pavement at each light looked like the end of an airport runway in both directions so I wasn't the only one.

Speaking of short lights, I love the ones where they've put up a sign as you come up to the light that lights up when it's thinking about turning yellow. Those are timed perfect.

THBatMan8 Thanks this.
  10. THBatMan8

Feb 13, 2011
    Wherever I park
    Makes two of us. You'll usually find those if the light is around a corner.

11. kajidono

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    They've been putting them up on those 55mph+ roads/highways where you can see the light too. Cuts way down on people slamming on the brakes when it turns yellow or trying to race the light. If you're behind the sign when it lights up, you won't make it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.