Legislation introduced to allow 18 year old interstate CDL drivers

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Studebaker Hawk, Mar 22, 2018.

1. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
    18 yrs old have been driving trucks for years intrastate. They can’t drive over states lines until there 21. So, what’s the big fuss? They been doing it.

Jazz1 and gentleroger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Yes Sir 345, 392, and 304 where common in the IH trucks st one time.

I grew up in a Bucyrus 21w. Spent a lot of time with IR TH55 rotary as well as T4 IR. Old drill and an old truck is about all I ever known lol. Drilling can be hard work for sure :).

4. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Indiana
    i ended up with 13 years total in the drilling industry. water, gas, environmental mediation and a couple months of oil exploration with rock core equipment. finished doing geotech. ill be honest, i always enjoyed it.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  5. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    This is From MI ( Copy/Pasted )
    You must be age 21 to drive a commercial motor vehicle across state lines (interstate). If you are between the ages of 18 and 21, you will receive a license with a K restriction allowing you to drive a commercial motor vehicle in Michigan only.

They must be unicorns, cuz I've not seen one that I can ever recall.... Maybe It just makes good headlines?
    I can only imagine what it must cost an employer in insurance premiums?

6. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    You won't see the young ones in typical trucking outfits, they are usually qorki g in a vocational setting like dumps, pump trucks, tow trucks and construction.

I was a 18 year old school bus driver, also did tow truck and waste oil pickup all before I was 21. Many good jobs for the 18-21 crowd and those that take interest in having a cdl at that age are usually ready for it.

Last Time Around Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Or what I see a lot of. Some kid working the family farm taking the crop to the elevator or such.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  8. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Exactly, nothing new about young drivers and large trucks. I never understood the difference between 18 vs. 21 for interstate since so many of our states are large enough for an 18 year old to drive 500+ miles a day, or areas like the northeast where I grew up I could do three states in 20 miles. I also never understood the prohibition of under 21 on interstate commerce by definition only -meaning a 18 year old can't drive a UPS package car because it is interstate commerce eventhough in that job he may never leave his home town.

9. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    I wanted to drive since I was 18 (big rigs). But knew I had to wait until 21. Wish it would've been lower for me back then.

Even if they legally lower the age which you can run all the states to 18, doesn't guarantee that the insurance companies will insure companies for the younger guys that want to join the industry. (Lets face it, they own/run the industry)

I don't know what the fascination of this country is with treating young people like childs, maybe if we start putting more responsibility into them they'd grow up sooner rather than later.

While we're at it we should lower the stupid drinking age to 18 as well. Wonder how messed up the people that truly wait until they're 21 to have their first drink get. While the rest of the world doesn't see it as a big deal and you can drink when you're 16... Lol.

How many have died (military) without having had a beer?

AModelCat Thanks this.
  10. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    There is a push for ex military drivers with T/T experience to be grandfathered in.

11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    well, if you're ex-military, aside from very extraordinary circumstances, you'll be over 21

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.