Less Money for More Miles

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by MSWS, Jul 3, 2022.

1. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Heck hang on for at least 6 months working with them, keep your ears open while you are still working for them, it's easier to get a job if you are still driving for a co. Keep your notebook close and keep info for a good paying long haul co. and just keep calling around?

MSWS Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    This one runs 48 states. Do some research on it and make sure solo drivers also run 48 states. We already know you can get consistent long runs with Leonard's and USA Truck.
    ~
    Big M Transportation - Run With The Big Dogs
    Blue Mountain, Mississippi
    ~
    [​IMG]

Rideandrepair and MSWS Thank this.
  4. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    I wanna thank everyone who's replied so far. Your suggestions are very helpful. I'll continue reaching out to the companies you've recommended. I've tried switching accounts at Werner but all they have open for my area other than OTR is Dollar General.

I'm just trying to find something that won't drive me insane until my wife gets her CDL later this year. Once we start team driving, then we'll begin focussing on the money. All I care about at the moment is pointing the wheels and stopping as little as possible. I'd work for $0.35 CPM right now if I knew I'd get 3,000 miles per week and do them all over 3-4 loads. It's good to know, though, that I don't have to

Rideandrepair and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get the applications in ASAP. I think you can team with your wife with all the companies I posted.
    Since you will already be there, you can be her trainer.

MSWS Thanks this.
  6. rockeee

rockeee Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Kalama, Wa
    Iv'e been trying to train my wife for 40 years. Almost there.

Hatt91, bryan21384, DRTDEVL and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Company I ran OTR for paid in the low to mid 40 cpm range... But I averaged about 3700 miles every 7 to 10 days, and that included 2 to 4 days at home between runs.

I ran from Idaho to the Mid west and back every week, and handled 2 to 3 loads in that time... 1 eastbound load, 1 westbound load, and sometimes a short load to get me home. I made good money doing that, but I got tired of being away from home and not seeing my kids grow. Did OTR with them for about 4 or 5 years, then switched to local at same company for about 9 months.

This past February a former employer got ahold of me and we began negotiating terms to get me to come back and work for them... Ultimately they came up with an offer I couldnt refuse.

Diesel73, MSWS and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Companies are NOT going to give you a special CPM or funnel their long trips toward you. You need to find the trucking companies that have long length of haul and work for them. Stay with the company you are at until you have a year experience. ALMOST everyone moves on from their first employer because during that year they learn there are important details of the job they would not have known to look for. Finding that you like longer length of haul is exactly one of those details. The goal is to note the various details that really improve or lessen the happiness with an employer and also research other companies that have more of what you like and less of what you don't like. PLEASE do not change companies every time you find you don't like something. You will lock yourself into fewer and fewer companies with generally lower quality. It's work, not a birthday party.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  9. Lostmykey

Lostmykey Medium Load Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Some Kllm dedicated accts have mostly long hauls. I’m on Saputo cheese and usually go from KY/NE (northeast) to CA and back. Occasionally I get TX to CA and upper Midwest/NE to SE. Unfortunately, in between the longer runs, I sometimes get 200-500mi loads (or if I’m lucky, it’s just a dh to pickup a longer load).

afaik, this acct has the lowest cpm range (57-67) but has a guaranteed minimum (only otr doesn’t have a minimum now). Other accts are anywhere from 60-85 and general otr is 60-70. There is a hiring radius, but I did meet another driver that parked in Jackson for hometime, so you should be close enough.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    Chinatown and MSWS Thank this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You generally need to prove you are reliable and always meet your appointment times before they will consider giving you anything else. Every company with dollar type stores (whatever the name of the store may be) ALWAYS has openings in that account. Trucking companies are not going to put a green driver into some important customer account and then see if the new driver can be reliable in meeting those appointment times. The new driver needs to prove they are reliable for more than one season.

rockeee and MSWS Thank this.
  11. rockeee

rockeee Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Kalama, Wa
    I agree. Stick around for a bit, play good with your dispatcher or whatever they are called now days. Let him/her know you would like longer runs.

MSWS Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.