Let’s test you split sleeper skills…

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Lennythedriver, Nov 28, 2022.

1. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Trucking was much easier back when you just had to know which book to grab when asked.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Your wrong on the second scenario. For a split to be valid it has to include at least 7 hours in the sleeper. As there never was a 7 hour long sleeper he broke the 14 hour clock

Long FLD Thanks this.
  4. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    I am so thankful I run my own truck.

5. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    I know this to be "factual". Know it happened at a large private fleet. Team operation, man in sleeper doing a "split", was required 8 hrs in sleeper. They arrived home, both drivers went home, the one in the sleeper was FIRED because he was required to stay in the sleeper, not go home. I know it is crazy but it did happened and the company was legal all the way. But any of us would have done the same, but if you are doing a "split" be careful

ZVar Thanks this.
  6. Pigdude

Pigdude Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2021
    I always kept the “other” one sealed in the hose tube. :D

Dennixx Thanks this.
  7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Know what's even sillier? Even a 34 doesn't fix the 14 hour violation because it's not a sleeper berth. But, if you take, for example, a 26 hour off duty, come back to the truck and take a 8 hour sleeper you'll not only get your 34 reset, you'll clear the 14 hour violation as it's now a valid split.
    Extremely silly in my mind, but I don't make the regs....

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  8. Inspector

Inspector Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Upper Plains
    You are correct, I read it wrong. They can attach to a 10 hr sleeper, not off duty.

9. Northeasterner

Northeasterner Medium Load Member

Apr 1, 2018
    the rules are this complicated? and the average person's intelligence is... and cops hand out tickets if you get confused by these 100-year old rules and make a mistake?!?

I mean, if it makes trucking unattractive then that's a good thing for my pay I guess, otherwise this is dumb. I'm so glad I'm a local driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.