Let's be safe. Safety supervisor Q&A

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Alpha Bandit, Feb 24, 2021.

1. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Certainly didn’t hurt my feelings.......I don’t know you from Adam, but I certainly know “who you are”. Just from your posts here. You’re a prime example of what’s wrong with this industry. If you were perfectly honest with yourself, you’d realize you have nowhere enough experience to be telling veterans how they did wrong.

Company's like yours, correction, 90% of company’s have people in safety positions with nowhere enough experience. Or zero experience. Company I lease to is no different. Safety guy has never even driven truck. Yet there you are in a position of authority. Do you want to know why? Because every company of any size needs the necessary evil to remain “legal”. Safety officers, or loss prevention officers, provide zero income to a company. They are a drain on company finances. Just the same as the numerous steering wheel holders who can’t stop backing into things or tearing bumpers off.

A persons wage is usually a direct reflection of their qualifications. You’ve said you’re somewhere around 40k a year, same as most safety personnel. If you wonder why, take a look in the mirror. You’ll find the answer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Alpha Bandit

Alpha Bandit Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2021
    Chiraq
    Veterans don't need to be told what to do. They know what they have to do and do it. Companies do not want to waste money on somebody to sit and look at logs all day and making aggravating phone calls to driver. The problem is 80% of the drivers need that help. 80% of the drivers do need their trucks regulated at 68mph, otherwise they'd be doing 80 all day long with steer tires rated at 75mph. You need to remember that companies don't make the rules, but have to enforce them and there's only so much room to bend them. A good safety supervisor could be the difference between being succesful and closing doors. Bad CSA rating leads to audit. More than half the time the audit leads to conditional rating. With conditional rating 60% of brokers stop giving you loads. From the other 40%, 15% are not approved by your factoring so it's a shot in the dark if you gonna get paid or not if you take the load. I'm not even gonna go into handling insurance claims, policies, premiums etc. In short, if you want to build a successful company, you cannot have weak departments. It's all connected. Maintenance, dispatch, safety and drivers all need to be on the same page. As far as my 40k salary, I was actually answering one of the 3 legit questions on the "lets bash the safety, because we hate the FMCSA" thread .

4. aaronpeterbilt3787

aaronpeterbilt3787 Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    And I don’t disagree with any of what you said......I’m not bashing the safety guy cuz I hate the fmsca. I’m bashing the guy with 4 years experience who thinks he’s qualified to be in said position. Big difference.

5. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    I hear livestock get half off of overweight tickets? Is that true
    And how bad is the ticket for closing your eye and blowing scales? Been told that sometime it's the best way around them

6. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
  7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Eat fast. If the bickering and personal insults don't stop you won't have time for much before the thread is closed.

Trucker61016 and Northern Nomad Thank this.
  8. Alpha Bandit

Feb 23, 2021
    Chiraq
    The reality is that there aren't many drivers with 20 years of experience that want to take on that job. As far as my 4 years OTR and 4 years in the office, yes, i believe i can answer basic safety questions which is the point of that thread

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2021
    Reason for edit: Recruiting
    Northern Nomad Thanks this.
  9. Alpha Bandit

Feb 23, 2021
    Chiraq
    No idea about livestock. That's a whole other animal. Ticket for bypassing weight station is " Failure to obey traffic control device". Same as running a red light. A decent lawyer will turn the ticket into non-moving violation for around $500 which won't be reflected in your record or your company's scores.

alds and Coffey Thank this.
  10. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    Good to know now just gotta make my boss pay it

11. Alpha Bandit

Feb 23, 2021
    Chiraq
    A good lawyer will be able to tell you right away over the phone if he is able to do that for you or not. If they are not confident, call another one.

Coffey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.