Lets Rebuild this Truck a 1999 KENWORTH W900L

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by tommymonza, Jan 29, 2015.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Big trucks equal big bucks.

I'm not one to tell a man how to spend the cash he earned by his own sweat. Tommy has figured out how expensive an undertaking this can be so if he continues at least he knew going into it, it's his to spend

tommymonza Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Are you planning to put all parts yourself? These just prices without labor.
    You also forgot to mention radiator, ac condenser, slack adjusters, brake chambers, driveshaft, new tyres. You also forgot all wiring around engine. I would go with this project if the truck would cost like 5000-10000 range. I bought truck for 15k with fresh rebuilt engine, new steering gear box, radiator. But I had to rebuild tranny and both rear ends. Changed a lot parts. Now Im close to 35k. including what Ive paid. But still I have to replace air compressor, brake slack adjusters, ac lines. So im looking to be close to 40k.

4. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida

Yep no labor costs

Yea I didn't get all the prices together on the list so I kind of just put the rest together on some paper with a rough idea for costs and added it up and figured i would probably be talking 65 to 70,ooo in parts before it was all done.

One way of doing this would be a new idea i had. Kind of the long way around but if you re ultimate goal was to own a couple trucks when you were finished is buy 2 trucks that have the basic same specs and engine and equipment

I am assuming most of the parts out there that go on the truck require a core or a core charge when you buy a new part.

so plan B

Buy 2 similar trucks and use the lesser of the 2 as a parts truck. At one point where the parts truck is getting low on parts make a decision to either totally rebuild it with new parts now that all is left is old cores or sell it off and buy another for parts.

5. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    A lot of parts you can rebuild yourself if you have old core just need to buy rebuild kits for the parts. This way save a lot of money too.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Problem is that it is the same parts that wear out on both trucks.
    So you have similiar bad parts.

tommymonza, Victor_V and Ruthless Thank this.
  7. RGRTim

RGRTim Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Greenville, TX
    A lot may not agree with me but I would fix what needs fixing to get the truck thru a DOT inspection, change all the fluids belts and hoses then put that girl to work. Once she had paid for herself then I would start working on the majors, engine, tranny etc. Just my 2 cents and most probably don't agree.

8. wore out

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I have seen enough reman parts fail at just a few miles I agree with you. Just got home from looking at a friends 12.7 389 glider. At 175000 miles she is pushing coolant out the overflow bottle. Guess its time to see what kinda warranty he has but I have a feeling what he is gonna hear

magoo68 Thanks this.
  9. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Kinda what i surmised. Just one way of getting maximum life out of parts before you switch it out but defeating my original idea that being to change out all the parts at once and than be done with repairs for another 5 years hopefully

10. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Bad head gasket or cracked head or something worse like a bad liner?

11. wore out

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I think it's a head problem course that's just my gut talking. He has to call the folks holding the warranty on it and see what they are gonna do. If it's like his other truck I guess I will take a few days off and fix it as the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.