Letter from the NC DOT...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by American-Trucker, Nov 21, 2011.

  1. American-Trucker

    American-Trucker Road Train Member

    Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    I forgot to update this:

    For anyone in NC, you DO NOT have to go to the DMV, all you have to do it make a copy of your DOT card BOTH SIDEs and MAIL it to the address on the letter the NCDMV sent you...thats it.

    American Trucker
    ECU51 and Mark Kling Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Cab Lizzard

    Cab Lizzard Light Load Member

    May 16, 2011
    I was told that a few states had already started this new CSA program. When it is all said and done your medical card will be somewhere on your CDL>
  4. Pegasus

    Pegasus Medium Load Member

    Aug 27, 2011
    in the universe
    JET-Lag is based in Arkansas and has an Arkansas CDL. On November 30, 2011, the State of Arkansas Department of Finance and Administration (equivalent of Texas Department of Public Safety and other states DMV) stating the following:

    "Beginning January 30, 2012, all commercial driver's license (CDL) holders or CDL applicants will be required to certify one of the types set out on the following page in the Self-Certification Affidavit. All drivers must provide certification at renewal of their CDL license or by January 30, 2014, whichever date is the earliest. This is required by recent changes in the federal regulations 49 CFR 383, 384, 390 and 391 as well as changes in Arkansas Code Annotated 27-23-129.

    The Self-Certification Affidavit with explanations of each type is listed on the back of this letter. The Self-Certification Affidavit bust be completed, signed and returned to the State of Arkansas. The form can either be mailed to the Office of Driver Services (address left out as not needed in here), faxed to (a certain number) or delivered to any Revenue Office in the State of Arkansas. The type selected on the form will be recorded on your driving record. CDL holders will not be allowed to renew their driver's license if this form has not been received by the State and recorded on the driving record.

    If you check Type 1 - Non-excepted interstate or Type 3 - Non-excepted intrastate on the Self-Certification Affidavit, then you must provide the original or a copy of a non-expired federal medical certification card (Med Card) to the state by your license renewal date or you must provide the Med Card no later than January 30, 2014, whichever date is the earliest to obtain a designation of "Certified" on your driving record. Failure to provide the Med Card by the driver's license renewal date or by January 30, 2014, whichever date is the earliest, will result in the designation of "Not Certified" being placed on the driving record. If the Med Card is not provided within sixty (60) days of the driver's license renewal date, the CDL license will be downgraded. Downgraded status means your commercial driving privileges will become non commercial driving privileges only. Once a CDL driving record has been "Certified", a new Med Card must be received by the State before the expiration date listed on the Med Card. Failure to provide a new Med Card by the expiration date will result in "Not Certified" status. If a new Med Card is not provided within sixty (60) days of the expiration date, the CDL license will be downgraded."

    So the way I figured it out is, JET-Lag's renewal of his CDL is by his birthday in April 2014, his Med Card expires on August 15, 2012 and the other date mentioned is January 30, 2014, so the earliest of those dates is August 15, 2012, so he has until then to sign the Self-Certification Affidavit and hand me his current Med Card so I can copy it and get that information to the state in time. Then, he will just need to have me copy his Med Card each time his Med Card gets renewed and then I can run it to the state office to comply with this ruling.

    I hope I am understanding this correctly because that is what I told JET-Lag will be done.
  5. ironpony

    ironpony Road Train Member

    Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    You should call your state DMV - I think they want you to walk the original certificate into the office by the cutoff date.
  6. Evilcapitalist

    Evilcapitalist Light Load Member

    Oct 14, 2008
    Really, you think that man's statement is funny? Well, @ 26 years of age, it is apparent you haven't been able to trace the progression of the federal government's massive regulation of the trucking industry, under the interstate commerce clause. Getting the fingerprints and TSA authorization, after 9/11/2011, was a huge step, and a huge cash cow. TWIC did the same. CSA 2010 went further. If you can't put the puzzle pieces together, you need a new pair of glasses.
  7. Evilcapitalist

    Evilcapitalist Light Load Member

    Oct 14, 2008
    One of the best posts ever, but you didn't mention how much "real wages(i.e. the actual amount of goods and services that one can buy)" have actually dropped, for truckers, since the 1970s.
  8. stranger

    stranger Road Train Member

    Oct 10, 2006
    Yes, real wages have droped considerable. My first tractor trailer job paid 10 cpm and $2.00 per drop, delivering new furniture in state. I ran two trips a week. Left out Sunday night around 10 pm, drove 3-5 hours, according to where the first stop was, spent Monday and part of Tuesday putting off drops, usually 10-25 of them, then home by Tuesday afternoon. Home till Wednesday night around 10 pm, did the same thing all over again, and home Friday afternoon around 3 pm. There until Sunday night.

    I did about 1500 miles per week, and 20-35 total stops. As small as the checks seem by todays dollars, I was making over twice what I was running local for another company, and twice what most of the factory workers were in the area. My standard of living came up dramatically. And this company was one of the lower paid ones.

    I hear of many drivers not making much more than what I did then at the end of the week, and gone for weeks at a time. The only thing better now is the trucks and more interstates to drive on.
  9. TennMan

    TennMan Road Train Member

    Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    In tennessee i've always had to provide a current Medical card in order to renew my License. Good thing we only have to do it to renew not every time we get a new card. Another money grab..........
  10. victorville

    victorville Bobtail Member

    Dec 1, 2011
    What I was tolled that we need to have the long form with us All the time !
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

    NYSDMV WORKER Bobtail Member

    Dec 28, 2011
    I am a DMV worker, I don’t know your home state but in NY a CDL is good for up 8 years. A Med Cert is good for a min of 3 month and up to 2 yrs. A Med Variance can be valid for 3 months up to 2 yrs. The Med Cert and Med Variance date of expirations are set by FMCSA. You can have a Med Cert without a Variance but you cannot have a Variance without a Med Cert. If you have both, when one expires the other is no longer valid. You will have to submit a new Med Cert to the NYSDMV Med Cert Unit (MCU) as soon as you get it. NYSDMV has 10 calendar days to place the Med Cert on your Driving Record from the date it has been received in the Albany MCU. If you drop off the Med Cert at a field office the clock dose not start at that time. Only when it has arrived in the MCU dose the clock start. At this time NYS is not set up to take in all the Data from Self Certification, Medical Certificates, and Medical Variances. A new data system is being built and should be operational by 1-Oct-2012. In Sept NYSDMV will send out Notification Letters that will inform all CDL Holders what to do and how to reply on the form to certify properly and submit copies of all needed documentation. From Oct-2012 to Oct-13 NYSDMV will take in all this data and enter it into the new Data base. Over 600,000 drivers will be captured. In Nov a final mass mailing will take place to reach out to all non-complaint CDL holders. On Feb 1 2014 all remaining CDL holders who have not complied will be Downgraded and a new non-CDL Lic will be issued. If a CDL expires before 3-Jan-2014, the driver must come into a DMV office and renewal and provide all the appropriate documentation in order to get a valid CDL if they cannot supply all the required documentation at that time they will have 45 calendar days from the date of CDL expatriation in order to get everything submitted. The driver's status will be marked as "Non-Certified" during the 45 days. If the CDL holder does not comply or is unable to comply within the 45 days on the 46th day they will be downgraded to a non-CDL Lic.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted