Level 3 inspection with medical card violation

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Hulld, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    my son got in the ditch on a back dirt road with a home delivery oil truck yesterday when from weeks of rain the soft shoulder gave way.
    He had to get towed out and a commercial dot cop showed up and did a level 3 inspection.
    He has listed on the inspection report as a violation that he didn’t have on his person a copy of a current medical card.
    The way I have read the law you no longer are required to carry a medical card on your person.
    I also talked with my friend who is a local commercial police dot inspector.
    He says I am absolutely right but is not sure how to get it removed from the dot inspection report?
    Anyone have any thoughts or experience on this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That is odd. Keep us posted. I’ve had 4 level 2 & 3’s just in the past 18 months or so (NM, MT, UT, OH most recently). Not once have I been asked for medical card or form.

I could not advise on how to address this matter.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    homeskillet and Hulld Thank this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I know in my state DMV list the current medical card in the system IF you take the longform into them.

As an aside, I still keep a copy of the longform on my G drive and a laminated card in my wallet because you can't trust some bureaucrat to actually do it. Then, you get into a situation just like your son had unfortunately.

However, since they started doing that, I have had several inspections and have not been asked for my medical card.

Hulld Thanks this.
  5. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I can’t quote the law but the answer is we are no longer required to carry the long form or the card.....

Hulld Thanks this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I carry both the card and the long form.

Sucks if you find yourself in a gun or knife fight and don't have one.

7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    brian991219 and Hulld Thank this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Is it possible he failed to insure that the most recent medical was properly submitted to the state DL authority? And maybe the cop was going to see if he had the form with him in case it just hasn’t had time to go through the channels?

Just going to the doctor’s office is not enough. They may or may not submit the data to the state on the driver’s behalf. I prefer to do it myself rather than trust the doctor’s office.

9. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    If he had not submitted his med card to the state his CDL would have been downgraded, opening up another can of worms. Additionally even if you have a card with you, if it’s not in the system your CDL is still downgraded and you still take the hit.

brian991219, OLDSKOOLERnWV and Hulld Thank this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I think they would allow a grace period. I don’t think they immediately downgrade the CDL as soon as the medical lapses. Especially given how it’s understood state bureaucracies are not entirely efficient or speedy and many drivers are going to procrastinate until a day or two before expiration.

Perhaps they might somehow flag the DL as “Pending” which would then allow a new paper form to be accepted? I’m just wondering out loud.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    bullhaulerswife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.