Life After Roehl

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by paoldschool, Jun 9, 2012.

1. MayhemTrucking

MayhemTrucking Heavy Load Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Denham Springs, La.
    Yep I worked local about 18 months myself. Loved being home but just couldn't quite make What I wanted to. Now I can go out as long or short as I want or need too its my choice which is what I like. Running the same routes is boring been there done that drove me nuts!!!! Lol

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrayMule

GrayMule Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    St. Louis Park, MN
    Would that be Advantage-Dart?

4. Zangief

Zangief Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Jags Fan in Viking Country
    I just had the nerve to open up my W2 envelope and realized that I made $35K last year. On average, I stay out about 3 weeks at a time. Just pathetic when you consider all the hours. I've had 2 different fleet managers tell me that my numbers are near the top when it comes to being on time, idle time, etc.

I'm in the process of filling out an application to another company today.

One question I do have for you guys though, is this. The application asks me if it is ok for them to contact Roehl. If they do contact Roehl and let the cat out of the bag, will Roehl have a problem with this? Will they just tell me to bring the truck home and consider myself an ex-Roehl driver immediately?

Naturally, I want to wait until I am accepted at the new company before quitting at Roehl. I would also want to give Roehl two weeks notice if that's what they would like. They have been good to me in all other respects besides the pay, so I want to be decent about things and leave on good terms with them.

What do you think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Here is what used to happen, any time a background check was completed the FM would be notified, they are then supposed to contact the driver and ask what's going on. Well you know expect for the obvious like child support, or like for a loan or something. They should then try to talk you into staying.

So what I would suggest, and what usually works, is to act surprised like you have no idea what they're talking about, wait for them to say the name of the company, then seem like you're searching your memory and say something like wow, I think I applied with them a few years ago before I started here.

That usually worked for me, then again being honest worked for me too. I, on a personal level, can understand wanting to move on if it's in your best interest.

Just don't leave these in the truck

[​IMG]

Dragonfly619, Zangief and Bayle Thank this.
  6. Zangief

Zangief Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Jags Fan in Viking Country
    Thanks Meltom. I would definitely go the honest route. I really only have two complaints with Roehl. #1 is the pay, and #2 is that they send me to the northeast all the time. Other than that I have nothing but good things to say about them. It has been a good place to get started, but now that I have experience, there are better options out there.

7. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    Definitely use the honest approach. From what I understand they'll even take you back if you find out the grass isn't greener over there. Just leave on good terms.

Zangief, Bayle, Beedubyah and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Bayle

Bayle Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Cottage Grove, MN
    its why I went Midwest regional, cut northeast crud out a lot.

Zangief and Dragonfly619 Thank this.
  9. DsquareD

DsquareD Road Train Member

May 21, 2009
    Green Bay, WI
    I just put in my 2 week notice for the second time. Even with a 2 week notice, I would imagine that my re-hirability with Roehl is rather slim now. But that's OK, there's thousands of other companies out there if I ever go back into trucking.

Roehl has a lot of options for drivers and I like that. No trucking company is perfect.

10. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I had guy on my fleet that was hired back for the same time in 12 months.

11. glowstickz

glowstickz Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    Duncan Falls, OH
    I just turned my truck in Friday. I have said it a number of times and i will say it again here. Roehl is a good company to get your start in trucking with. Good luck to all and it has been fun for the last few years but it has come time to move on.

Red dog cliff, Bayle, Ultra7 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.