Life After Roehl

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by paoldschool, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Goldenfan

Goldenfan Heavy Load Member

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    We're definitely in different situations Treefork. I'd be very happy with your pay and home daily but it's only the wife and I and she works and carries the insurance too. There's nothing like what you're doing in my area. Sand hauling is what's local here but you're going to work nightshift (12 hrs.) and weekends and holidays too. They also want experience which I don't have.
    Meltom's outfit, I'm sure I know who it is, doesn't hire new drivers unless I'm wrong on that. Also I'm an hour west of his yard and I'm guessing their drivers are from that area.
    I wouldn't think you'd make much more than what you are now with Roehl and you probably won't be home every weekend either right?
    Good Luck on your search.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Treefork

Treefork Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    Well wherever I go that's the tradeoff, I would likely not be home every weekend and for the next few years Im willing to stay out to make the $. My current job is great and the insurance is good and it's easy as pie for the money, but I need more if I can and I really need the physical activity to keep me moving, this sitting sedentary with nowhere to go while I'm in docks is really taking its toll on my physical health.

4. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Actually I dispatch a boatload of small haulers. Where are you located, I could probably get you the hookup.

5. DirkSteel

DirkSteel Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2013
    50 states/Many countries
    Merry CHRISTmas to all ex Roehlies. Hope you're some place fun. Remember Jesus is the reason for the season!

goblue Thanks this.
  6. Goldenfan

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    Meltom, if I do decide on driving which is possible, do some of those small carriers train? I have a FT and a PT non driving job right now but I've thought of possibly looking into this as a different PT job to start with. You dispatch milk loads for ZMN don't you? I'm straight west of you in PDC.

7. Scott72

Scott72 Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2013
    PDC here too. Who are you driving for now?

8. Goldenfan

Apr 8, 2013
    WI
    I'm not. Both of my jobs are non driving. I've got a Class A from over 20 years ago when I worked for a coop delivering feed and fertilizer. I've never let it go and renew my hazmat and Dot physical card too. However I have no T/T experience. I drove smaller straight trucks sometimes pulling a trailer or spreader for the coop. OTR driving is something I've thought of doing but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Ideally I'd get into something regional or semi local where I'd be home 2 or 3 times a week or so. I won't do the out 3 weeks, off 3 day circus that most places offer. Out 3 weeks off a week maybe. I work every Saturday now and some Sundays as well if not at the FT job I'm usually at my PT job Sun. nights like I will be tonight.

Scott it took me about 2 minutes to figure out who you were on here by your posts. I'll send you a PM.

Scott72 Thanks this.
  9. Treefork

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    You'd just have to check with each company individually. Hiring is often dictated by their insurance and many small outfits don't train, though with your prior experience you might find someone willing to.

Roehl would take you on but you'd probably have to go through their driving school all over again due to no recent and no T/T experience. Then you'd have to go out with a trainer. I haven't found an OTR carrier that has as many home time options as Roehl either. I always did the 11/3 which wasn't bad, 3 solid days home after 11 out.

10. Treefork

Mar 22, 2008
    Northeast Indiana
    Might be back out on the road in the near future. I tossed Roehl around a little bit but decided to try somewhere new instead. Waiting on job verifications. (Roehl and Coca Cola are dragging their feet verifying).

Scott72 Thanks this.
  11. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Go haul milk, I know a guy from the Netherlands that could you keep you busy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.