Life Post FedEx Freight... as a Local Cryo Driver

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Dec 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmz

jmz Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Great Plains
    Yeah but FedEx isn’t cruel enough to pay any drivers $15/hr on the dock. It should be something like upper 30s for driving and upper 20s for dock in CA. I think even our part time dock workers get more than $15/hr.

McUzi and USMC 3531 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Yeah I thought that 15 was kind of off, but didn't say anything because I wanted you FXF guys to chime in on that one.

4. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Yes. We are based out of southern california.

McUzi Thanks this.
  5. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    California being the exception, the hourly rate for all other road drivers is based on the "City Driver" rates that are applicable to step progression and region. For example. I was topped out as a Road Driver in the D GPD, so I was paid at $0.7062cpm for my dispatch, my drops/hooks were paid at half my hourly rate which was $15.115 each ($30.23 to drop and hook each set), fuels at 1/4 my hourly rate (so $7.56) all of my dock/hostling work at $30.23/hr and all delay time at $30.23/hr.

Attached Files:

6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    How are you handling elogs across two different companies?

7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    At the main company I’m just going to enter on/off duty times in the Elog system. As long as I finish my Saturday work by 7pm, I’ll have a 34 hour reset for a fresh clock.

I just need to make sure I have my boss remove those entries from Payroll since our eld activity is tied into the payroll time keeping system.

8. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Got to witness a silane gas flare off today. That was pretty wild. Silane is a pyrophoric gas that ignites in the air, with no other ignition source. If you were to open a silane cylinder valve that was not connected to anything, it would immediately combust in the air.

The flare off was pretty wild. A venting fixture is attached into a tank that is filled with water that is exposed at the top, think of like a sink almost. The silane is sent into the piping and up through the water, as it rises out of the water it pops in a controlled state and makes a clapping sound almost.

The Shadow Thanks this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Forgive my asking a seemingly stupid question since I’m speaking from a knowledge of physics rather than experience with tankers, but wouldn’t the surge be less if the tank were full, since more liquid would have less room to move?

kylefitzy, The Shadow and USMC 3531 Thank this.
  10. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    You are correct, if the tank is full by volume the slosh is much less. However, some liquids weigh enough that legal weight is not full volume. Ran into this in the oilfield a lot, hauling heavy water and brine, some weighing as much as 12-13 lb/gal (fresh water runs just over 8 lb/gal).

The Shadow, MACK E-6 and McUzi Thank this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I know vaping fluid is some heavy stuff, according to weights on DR’s from when I’ve delivered drums of it.

McUzi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.