Life Post FedEx Freight... as a Local Cryo Driver

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by McUzi, Dec 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    Sorry to change topic. A buddy of mine who used to work at fedex freight said. That dock pay was seperate from driving pay. So if they had him do alot of dock work his pay would go down.

Does your barn(s) work like that or different?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    OK, the barn doesn't matter in this case.

If you are a line driver, you are paid per mile while you drive. When you're fueling, delayed, drop/hooking or working the dock, you go on hourly pay. Hourly pay, when compared to what you'd make per mile at @ 60mph, is less...

...but you still get paid for everything you do. So there's that.

USMC 3531, McUzi and jmz Thank this.
  4. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Also, doesn't matter what hourly task you are performing, the hourly rate will be the same. Line driver working the dock? Same rate. Delayed in a highway shutdown? Same rate. City driver working the dock? Same rate.

USMC 3531 Thanks this.
  5. kidz bop

Oct 5, 2017
    I work at another ltl company and so does he. But he used to be at fedex freight. He said that 35 an hour driver pay goes down to 15 an hour dock worker pay rate if he arrives at terminal and they have him do dock work.

USMC 3531 Thanks this.
  6. kidz bop

Oct 5, 2017
    He said basically if he is doing dock work he is payed dock worker pay. While driving he is payed driver pay. Thats how he said the pay was calculated when he worked there. Not sure if all fedex freight is like that. This is what my buddy said that yes his pay DID change depending on what he was doing.

7. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Only time FedEx Freight drivers are paid differently is if they are a mileage compensated employee (line driver) that is not currently in the middle of a linehaul dispatch, which then reverts to their hourly rate based on their step progression and region. That’s company wide, no deviation from that anywhere. Only exception is California line drivers, who have a different hourly rate while driving and a different hourly rate for dock/other tasks. California domiciled drivers aren’t paid by the mile.

USMC 3531 and dwells40 Thank this.
  8. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Oh--Kalifornia. Yeah, that's different than how we pay drivers in the USA.

9. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I am not with FXF, but what you are describing sounds more like a California pay system, Saia pays their California line drivers a hourly rate now, 30 something for their road rate rate (driving) and 20 something for their work rate (pre/post trip, fueling, hooking, dock, ect).

McUzi Thanks this.
  10. USMC 3531

USMC 3531 Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Does this mean they are taking you off cyro or is this just for training? How did you like the tanker? I have only pulled smooth bore with sulfuric acid, and bottle with anhydrous ammonia, quite a bit of surge with the smooth bore even though it was only 3000 or 3500 gal, cant remember exactly.

11. McUzi

McUzi Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Separate companies. This road test was for the part time fuel hauling company I landed. The fuel tanker was baffled but the weight was pretty gnarly to pull, never pulled anything that heavy before, although the surge wasn’t anything as bad as I expected, likely because of it being baffled.

I begin 3 weeks of behind the wheel training with the cryo company on Monday. Thank god, because I’m losing my marbles not driving.

USMC 3531 and dwells40 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.