Light Flashing

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by kjax, Mar 26, 2009.

1. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    No doubt,I wouldnt expect any supporting proof to that,the law is pretty clear on it.
    The flash to merge was from the old days running old equiptment.
    Lighting on trucks is different from 30 years ago.
    Highbeam flashing is a clear sign of a new age driver void of common road manners/sense.

Check your high beams during PTI not in another drivers mirrors!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CURTWAYNE

CURTWAYNE Medium Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    LITTLE ROCK, AR
    On a couple of trucks I have driven, they had day time running lights. Release the brakes, and the drl's come on. On those trucks, I would turn the headlights off-on, off-on during the overnight hours. The drl's may not have been as bright as the regular headlights, but it still beats using the bright lights.
    Maybe somebody can post a link to the DOT regulations that say you must flash bright lights. I still don't believe it.

4. Slam-Bang

Slam-Bang Bobtail Member

Feb 7, 2007
    S.F BayArea
    I don't do the flick a light thing...ever have a switch fail in the pitch of night going 60mph ? me neither & don't want to.

5. Hurryupandwait

Hurryupandwait Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Canada, Northern Ontario
    I must be the only person that isn't blinded by a quick flash of high-beam when I pass someone. The people I can't stand are the ones that drive everywhere with their "driving" lights on, even during the day or their fog lights.

johnday and otherhalftw Thank this.
  6. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Some people don't give a "quick" flash. I agree about those dang driving lights, fog lights, all that crap they think makes their car/truck look cool.
    I'll always dip the lights the way it's been done since the '50's...maybe earlier.

7. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    The unsafe manuever is actually when you off your headlights without going to the marker lights, by doing this you go dark, totally dark. This is not only unsafe, stupid, and lazy, but illegal. In dark hours, (and the rule used to be 1 hour before dusk to 2 hours after dawn for use of lights), you should ALWAYS have your vehicle lit, for the 2-3 or less seconds flashing another driver, the passing drivers lights show you the road ahead of you, if you douse all lights without using the marker lights, you basically disappear somebody flying up behind you might plow into your backend.

By flashing your high beams on the passing truck, you are blinding him as he (or she) is, and should be checking the passenger side mirror to see clearance to get back over. High beams, especially the on/off of them, can really cause problems, some individuals may have problems with recovering from a blast of light, so these people are temporarily blinded and the time to adjust to the available light might be just enough to put them into the ditch or into another vehicle.

Four wheelers, please don't flash the high beams on us, even though you are trying to help, just give us a little more space. Oh yes one more thing. When a truck passes you, maintain your center position in your lane. Some think that by moving to the right will give the trucker a bit more space. What moving right will do is make you disappear from our side mirror, maybe just enough where we think you are clear but you are actually about to get a trailer kiss from the rear right corner.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  8. JSmitty

JSmitty Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Midland Tx
    I'd rather someone not even flash me, than to give me the high beams. But, now days I'm running 18% window tint, so I could care less what the others do. Hell, my pass side mirror is so far out there, I have to lean back in the sleeper to even see out of it anyway. I keep it that way cause I used to get so irritated with the bright lights at night.

9. kjax

kjax Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Ottawa, On
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll be sure to continue to use my 4-ways as a quick thanks for moving aside, and dimming my lights to let others know they're clear to move over =]

Still undecided and MuddyWaters Thank this.
  10. MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Indiana
    We appreciate you friendly four-wheelers!

Thanks for caring :)

11. javelinjeff

javelinjeff Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    The best way a 4 wheeler can flash us is,,,,,have your girlfriend lift her shirt!!!

JSmitty Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.