Lighting issue

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by bcarter17, Dec 5, 2020.

1. bcarter17

bcarter17 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2020
    Well, this isn't exactly about an 18 wheel truck, just a International 4300 DT466 box truck. Thinking it is about 15 years old. Have an issue with the rear brake and turn signal lights on the driver side. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Every morning when you first start the truck, they will work, however, after about the first or second time you use the left turn signal or hit the brakes, they flicker and stop working. My first thought was a ground issue, but, I can simply turn off the truck and then start back up, and they will work for a while. They quit again after a couple of times using brake or left turn. Hoping someone can give me a good starting point on where to look.

Thanks!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Take the light apart and check for corrosion, lose wires ect. If everything is ok. Get a test light and check voltage

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    4300, so you have the type with a body controller. So your lights are computer controlled. So you have a high current draw on the turn/brake circuit for the left side. The body controller measures how many amps is being drawn, and too much it will kill the circuit until the next key cycle. That is why there are no fuses or breakers. So now you need to chase your wiring to find out why/where it is partially shorted.

spsauerland, BoxCarKidd and Goodysnap Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.