Lighting violation?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Kyle G., May 15, 2022.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    We had some genius CVI one of the service trucks at the last place I worked. One of the lights INSIDE a tool cabinet and used solely for illuminating the tool drawers was not working. They failed the truck because of that. Complete BS. You can't even see if that light is on or off when you're driving down the road.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Everytime it's been asked no one has found a state law claiming it has to work if there. Until someone can point to a specific law I'm going with no, there is no state law.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  4. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    But I just found this...

§ 393.3 Additional equipment and accessories.
    The use of additional equipment or accessories in a manner that decreases the safety of operation of a commercial motor vehicle in interstate commerce is prohibited. Nothing contained in this subchapter shall be construed to prohibit the use of additional equipment and accessories, not inconsistent with or prohibited by this subchapter, provided such equipment and accessories do not decrease the safety of operation of the motor vehicles on which they are used.

Based on this, it could be a violation because it could technically decrease the safety of the vehicle. If the driver puts his 4-ways on, motorists behind him could see the lightbar with only one flashing light and assume it is a turn signal and attempt to pass on the opposite side, thinking that the truck will be turning. Right? :dontknow:

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    California used to ticket drivers for that. Maybe they don't anymore.

6. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    I think you might be reaching a bit there.

7. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I know. But I’ll take what I can get if it means winning the argument lol.

8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    ...i heard from someone long time ago that every light that on the truck or trailer should be working ...never knew it is or not but heard stories from pnw dot ( dont remember state ) not allowing lights on the back of the sleeper and one driver had to remove them on the spot

9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Go across the scales at Banning Ca with a couple of burned out chicken lights and see what happens. ;)

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Absolutely nothing if they are following both California vehicle code and FMCSA. If you do get a citation it's an easy win in court as Cali has no special requirements added to FMCSA.

11. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    7846D60D-C71C-4E1B-B21E-5B9FDE9B7AA8.png I’d take it to the person in the black robe if it’s an issue…

ZVar, just_sayin, Badmon and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.