Lightweights

Discussion in 'Prime' started by nkdc78, Sep 19, 2012.

1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Sure! I've seen a couple of guys in leased lightweights. It does open up more load opportunities - you can scale 49,000lbs with one of the newer trailers. My Cascadia tops out at just over 46,000 with the same trailer.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ABFer

ABFer Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Thank you. My company is on shaky grounds, so just looking around just in case.

4. Chucktaylor

Chucktaylor Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    My last trainee was 6' 5" former boxer. He was a bit scared about the lightweights until I took him out to the available tractors. Like everyone, he would prefer a condo strictly on the storage space, however he was relieved to find that he fit comfortably in the smaller freightliner and international. He didn't care for the Pete. But all indications point to no more baby Pete's.

now my FM initially said that arrangements have been made on a case by case basis for newbs getting condos, or proving themselves and being rewarded with a condo.

When I went to ask permission for myself and trainee to crawl up in the new trucks, the lady in Leasing was quick to point out that the fleet manager does not make the decision and that the department head is the only one who can authorize a switch to a condo. to my trainee I was like "ok, I'm sure he makes a decision on the recommendation from the fleet manager." She rudely said "no, only the department head" I rudely told her that "I don't jump over my FMs head and that I can live with whatever decision the department head makes, but history has shown that I usually get things done when my FM is in agreement and on my side."

So take that info for what it is. I'd get your FM on your side. I'm sure it would go a long way in helping your case with WHOMEVER actually makes the decision.

5. long_run

long_run Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Paintsville,Kentucky
    I've also noticed a lot of mid roofs around. What is the big difference between these and the lightweights?

6. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Not much... they're mid roofs, but the sleeper section is shorter by about 18" or so.

7. sw1911es

sw1911es Bobtail Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Thanks for the link IP, couldn't figure out how to go to a photo album. I think I will be ok in that for a year or two...

8. Hooda

Hooda Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Rockville, Minnesota
    OK so FINALLY, on post #54 ironpony gave a link with a real, honest look at a Cascadia LW. Thanks IP. Now that I've seen one, I'm a little disappointed. I've been in training, envisioning myself moving into a truck with a 60-72 inch sleeper, as this is the industry norm, only to find out that the new lightweights are only marginally bigger than the old 36" "coffin sleepers" like you see on the old 70's petes. (Those 36" sleepers are still an option on new trucks, BTW). Kinda reminds me of when I was in the Army, when they were sacrificing the tiniest of expenditures at my expense instead of cutting where they REALLY needed to cut. What I wonder is how much more does a foot of sleeper weigh?(including the extra frame, driveshaft, lines, etc). I ask because I've seen '05-'06 columbias advertised with 60" mid roofs weighing in at 14,700 telling me that there's something I don't know fully about these trucks. Bottom line is that Prime is at the top of my list as far as places to go, lightweight or not. BUT, as IP points out, it's more about the driver than anything as far as fuel economy is concerned, and, based on his posts that I've read, I'd be willing to bet that he can get better mileage out of his rig than a lesser driver will get out of a lightweight, all with the comfort of a full sized truck. Please correct me if I'm wrong. BTW, it is NOT my intent to disparage Prime in any way, just a learning exercise.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  9. sazook

sazook Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Springfield, MO
    I believe the lightweight trucks can haul about 3,000 more pounds than the comparable full size truck with the same trailer.

10. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    The light weights were designed/built so that Prime could haul up 49K in the newer trailers at the time, not for fuel ecomony. The Full size trucks will normally handle 47K with the new trailers.

11. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    The benefit to the company guys are more loads. Lease trucks can't pull them, and there are shippers who only deal with us now because of the lightweights.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.