Linear Amp Question

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by clantonman1983, Nov 9, 2009.

1. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    Yes, they are on sideband-upper sideband, or USB. They are also "extra" channels, not on the Citizen's Band. 27.515 is the high side of channel 9, 27.555 is the high side of channel 12. By "high side" I mean up one notch on your band selector from the CB freq's. So your 979 doesn't go there, unless you've had it modified to have extra channels.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    Boy, I'm the slow typer today! That's what I get for posting and looking for a load at the same time...

4. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese

I can't believe Gadfly has not shown up on this thread,.......:biggrin_25524:

5. kwray

kwray Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Walleye you jerk! You beat me to it!! This here's a thread about them thar lean-yeers an' all them extree channels. And he didn't post......maybe somebody should knock on his door (or at least rattle a stick on the bars of his cage) to make sure he didn't keel over...

FriedTater and walleye Thank this.
  6. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,........................

7. -=PEAKABOO=-

-=PEAKABOO=- Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2009
    DFW Texas
    The real palomar amplifiers were decent amps with a good bias scheme that truly made the class AB. There was however a lot of "copys" of these amplifier and the only think that was copied was the name. As far as the "comp" amps go. These are actually the worst when it comes to splatter. They are a class C design, they are built this way because it is the easiest way to build an amplifier. The problem is that class C should only be used on FM or CW not AM and SSB. They have no filtering on the output of the amplifier as well. Truth be told that is what just about everything on the market is built like today unless you have someone that knows what they are doing custom build you an amplifier. If built correctly it will make a world of difference on how well it works without trashing up everything with in miles. The radio that is ran into will also need to be set up correctly, the modulation needs to be set to not over-modulate.

rabbiporkchop and josh.c Thank this.
  8. -=PEAKABOO=-

Dec 1, 2009
    DFW Texas
    Actually the little palomar 225's were class AB drifting into B after a few keys.
    That is if it is even a real palomar, most of them just look like palomars.
    AB1 and AB2 are used for different bias scenarios on tubes, not pills.

josh.c Thanks this.
  9. josh.c

josh.c Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Knoxville, Tn
    Thanks for that explanation, I obviously only know enough about this stuff to make myself look dumb. Why does it drift toward class B? Does it become less linear as the temperature rises?

10. -=PEAKABOO=-

Dec 1, 2009
    DFW Texas
    Yes, the transistors "draw" more bias current and the bias voltage sags more due to this. The bias circuit is not a regulated bias circuit, it just uses resistors.

11. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    I will take his place ..... LOL ......:biggrin_2559:

What do you meen EXTRAS ? :biggrin_25514:

He does get a bit carried away .....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.