Linehaul at Fedex Freight Zion, IL

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Misfittrucker, May 19, 2018.

1. Misfittrucker

Misfittrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Anyone have an info. on linehaul at Fedex Freight in Zion, IL? miles, dock time, start times, overall environment at FXF, good and bad...Also I didn't get the details but the recruiter said something that they give bonuses twice a year...Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Zion is a top scale terminal. Will start of at about 24 an hour and be at 30 after 3 years. Mileage will start at about .58 and go up to .70. Plan on short trips and 4-6 hours on the dock with the occasional via. Depends on their needs. Will probably run to Midway or Chicago Heights.

If your not extra board you will have a start time between 8-10 o’clock at night. Weekends and holidays off.

Work environment is great at FXF. Happy drivers and supervisors. Of course some supervisors are better than others but for the most part it’s pretty laid back. Just do what your supposed to be doing and no one will be on your back. I don’t work out of Zion but am familiar with Midway and Chicago Heights. So I’m not sure how the Zion terminal is.

This is my 3rd LTL job since I’ve been driving and is by far the best. Only way I will leave is if I find another occupation. Ive been at Union and non union places too and hands down the happiest workforce I’ve ever been around. People will still complain of course but it’s 20 year drivers who don’t know how good they got it.

It’s not all peaches and rainbows all the time. You will get late vias that push you right at your 14 hour , come across trailers you have to unload that are just a PITA. Winter sucks on the dock, but Midway is heated. They keep it at 55 degrees.

Just don’t expect to be driving 500 miles a night starting off.

4. Misfittrucker

Mar 29, 2017
    Thanks for the all the Information Digman! I really appreciate it. That was the most information I was able to get with several attempts. I have an interview Monday and this is information is very valuable!

Midway is heated! Wow! I didn't think any LTL's had heated docks...Most don't want to even put the dock bumpers in too keep the wind out.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. Digman943

Digman943 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2016
    Yea all the docks I’ve been on have the bumpers too. Midway and Joliet are heated. It’s weird because you forget how cold it is outside lol. Then you go hook your set. Do you work at another LTL now?

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. Misfittrucker

Mar 29, 2017
    Yes, I do work for another LTL now. Ive bee in LTL about a year and a half. The company I am with now is good. I am just not getting enough work, just 300 miles a night with out any other work and in a few years I'd like to transfer to a warmer location with FXF hopefully.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Besides the specific info on terminals, the advice given sums up most major LTLs. Go to a break bulk if you can for more opportunities. Most schedule guys start between 2000-2300 at any given LTL terminal. Late vias always suck!

Btw, where you have one LTL you'll have others. Don't limit yourself to one when searching / applying for jobs. You can't go wrong with OD, Estes, or FXF. They're all kinda the same. ODFL linehaul drivers don't work the dock.

Do what they ask of you and and you won't be micromanaged - pretty much applies to all the big companies.

8. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Estes doesn't work the dock

2BucTruck and Mike2633 Thank this.
  9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Don’t miss your gate times at FedEx. They don’t appreciate that.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Wow. Must be nice when you have a meet guy to not have to worry if they'll be late. ODFL isn't strict enough for my liking with gate times. Some terminals are really bad with it.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, the big problem I have with that is when you encounter issues with the trailer thanks be to either a non-existent PTI from the driver that brought it in, or shop personnel that couldn’t be bothered to do THEIR jobs, so then you could wind up losing an hour getting lights fixed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.