List of chain season for each state?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jdm5jdm5, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Jdm5jdm5

Jdm5jdm5 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Is there a list someone could attach or a link of all the states and their chain season dates you must carry chains. For example, must carry chains from September 1 to May 31st.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    There is an app for this.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I can't vouch for the accuracy of this pages but here are some

http://www.trucking.org/ATA Docs/What We Do/Trucking Issues/Documents/Engineering/Chain Laws -March 2014.pdf

State Chain Law Rules and Regulations

Colorado is probably the biggest problem because you must have them somewhere in/on the truck to operate, certain months of the year, regardless of current weather, but this only applies to certain interstate highway sections.

As far as the other states are concerned, you will be grounded only across certain passes during winter weather events if you do not have chains installed "while the lights are flashing". Or in the case of California, they can possible screen trucks to insure they have chains available to proceed past a certain point, in the possible event "chains required" lights go on further down the road

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Additionally, Colorado closes certain passes to winter regardless of need for chains or not. They are simply too dangerous to run during that season.

Most all eastern states do not have a requirement to have chain.|

One company I was with had cable chain tied to my catwalk rack to comply with the western states anywhere we go.

Another did not issue chain. However they had one person in the office strictly paid to worry about winter weather in the western states. If there was a developing storm big enough in a given area to require chain we were getting qualcomm messages if we were in a affected area. A handful of times that has happened with just enough warning time, to make possible getting out before the storm got thick enough, deep enough to need chain.

I don't recall using chain out west, once in a while a storm develops and strengths from a few inches to two feet within a hundred miles of say St Georges UT. It is easier to punch through it before it REALLY got deep enough to need chain than to get trapped and get chain put on when highways says you gotta.

I carry a set of chains for my vehicle for ice purposes, not snow. They are not designed for snow made in austria. They strictly for ice. But Arkansas does not require it, we carry and use them anyway.

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Every Carrier I ever drove for had this information state by state in their permit books. I am surprised this is not happening anymore. I also believe it is in the Rand McNally Motor Carrier Atlas.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Also most internet has a DOT state by state website in real time manned and managed by DOT. They will tell you of storm closures and chain requirements.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Bottom line for the OP, it depends on if you're your own boss or if you're a company driver as to how/what will happen if you DON'T have chains, and what your options are. If you do have chains, best think is to count how many and the types of chains that you have that are SERVICEABLE. Just because you have a bunch of chains in the truck, doesn't mean you have a bunch of chains that are any good. Take them all out and inspect them one by one BEFORE you run into winter Wx. Chains get tore up quickly by drivers with minimal chaining experience and tend to go back in the dog house and forgotten about. Several prior threads on the subject elsewhere here.

As far as chain types and counts, OR and/or CA will have the most demands and checks for compliance, depending on the weather situation on the ground. Also, Snoqualamie in Washington will have frequent LEO checks for chains installed during winter weather events, so keep this in mind if you'll be running E-W into the Seattle area

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf

Minimum Chain Requirements in Oregon | TripCheck - Oregon Traveler Information

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    People take chains off their truck? Unless your carrying 4-three railers and 4-singles I could see taking them off in the summer but if you're only carrying a set of singles then why not just carry them year round?

10. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Oregon is worse. Require you carry 6 chains. They can and will check at anytime where signs are posted for possible need. That means you can get a ticket $440 for not having six chains on your truck on the 4th of July.
    I learned the hard way. At least the company paid the fine.
    Washington requires 7.

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Where are you getting this from? The signs along the highway will say "Must Carry Chains", but this sign is not on in the summer and generally is only on ahead of and during winter weather events along certain problematic sections of roadway. If the sign is not on, then you don't have to have them in your possession. I suspect you passed a sign that indicated you needed to carry chains and I also suspect this was far from July.

Oregon Secretary of State Administrative Rules

734-017-0012
    Requirement to Carry Chains or Traction Tires

When chains or traction tires are required to be carried and the appropriate signs are posted, chains or traction tires of sufficient size and number to comply with division 17 rules must be in or on the vehicle.

Statutory/Other Authority: ORS 184.616, 184.619 & 815.045
    Statutes/Other Implemented: ORS 815.045 & 815.140
    History:
    HWD 7-2005, f. & cert. ef. 9-16-05
    TO 8-1998, f. & cert. ef. 9-14-98

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.