List of companies with Autos

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by amtrack, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    And why not? If the technology is there, why not use it?

Driving a truck with an auto is no different than driving one with power steering. I'll be willing to bet that back in the day, the same type of attitude prevailed when the first trucks with PS came out. No doubt the quotes were, "power steering is for sissies", and "I can feel the road better with a manual steering". Nowadays, power steering is all but standard equipment, and I don't know of too many people who would want to strong arm a truck around a turn or into a loading dock.

BigHossVolvo and Kirk Cousins Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SCar72

SCar72 Light Load Member

You are correct in that thinking I am sure. As I stand slightly corrected then.

But in the larger picture, I do strongly believe Carriers are going Auto in order to get these new generation of Drivers in as well. Hardly any young person can drive a stick it seems. A fully Automatic Company is their primary consideration when applying. Sure there will be some of us older folks who like them too. That vast reason though is because of the younger people and the Driving Schools just aren't doing their job in learning/teaching.

A Automatic is still more expensive than a Standard. Still has a few issues. A Automatic will still get slightly less MPG's than a Standard driven right. When it comes to money and the numbers, Carriers only buy Autos to entice the younger generation.

4. Teion

Teion Medium Load Member

May 13, 2013
    SE Texas
    KLLM/FFE is going auto as well.

The Patriot Thanks this.
  5. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    Not exactly. You still need to be able to steer. The difference is strength not skill.

Shifting is a skill, and frankly one that shouldn't be too difficult to master. If one is unable or unwilling to learn to shift then in my eyes that steering wheel holder is less than in my book. It's one more thing that removes the professional from the driver.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  6. Dabrian

Dabrian Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2015
    North Carolina
    Add UPS Freight to the list. The last 15 trucks added at my terminal have been automatics.

7. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    Fuel mileage, a lot of it is about better, consistent fuel economy with an auto. Most automotive autos are so advanced now days they get better fuel economy than the manual version of the same vehicle (when/if there is a manual available) Years ago that wasn't the case.

8. Deepdiver88

Deepdiver88 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Add Watkins & Shepherd as they are 100% Autos. Talked with one their drivers about a week ago as he was making a delivery to our local furniture retailer (they mainly haul furniture) and he informed me W&S had been bought by Schneider. He stated the the negative repercussions in the way of policy and pay changes had begun. He said veteran drivers were bailing like crazy and that he had also given notice to leave the company.

9. Rusty Trawler

Rusty Trawler Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Another One Bites the Dust https://g.co/kgs/tpJIyH

10. vusomujo

vusomujo Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2016
    What about otr?

11. vusomujo

vusomujo Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2016
    What abo
    what about werner enterprises

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.