Live in the truck save $ and become financially independent???

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by nofreetime, Apr 4, 2014.

1. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    I urge anyone whose goal is to acquire this wealth and these assets and than make their next goal a nice wife and start a family . GO GET a Attorney and a Prenup.
    In this day and age if you do not you are a fool , and if your future wife does not understand you taking this position than you just saved your self a lot of money and heart ache.

My dad was giving me a hard time the other day because he said i have next to nothing while his Cuban friend being in the US only 20 years is about to retire at my age.

I said one word DIVORICE.

i got my clock cleaned right at the time the housing and economy was kicking in the boost as it crashed.

I lost everything, all my cash to my attorney and all my assets to my ex and what was left to depreciation due to not being able to turn my real estate during my divorce while the downturn was beginning to happen.

Not to mention my ex intentionally destroying my Credit

I thought I just got Screwed by my attorney but than I watched a movie on Netflix the other night .

Divorce Corp

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2636456/

Very Eye opening.

Just to sum it up my ex wife was of 20 years.

After her I had a European born Italian girlfriend that that I lived with for 8 years with no pressures of marriage or anything else other than her wanting me to move back to Europe after 8 years with her.

After 8 years all ended fairly with no fighting and attorneys.

What a difference from my American Divorce.

Never again another American Girlfriend or wife

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth

Your plan is very nice and it's a really good thing for you to think about retirement, but don't forget to live your life NOW!

My father had enough money to retired early by the age 47 he sold all the equipments he had and told my sister and i that he wanted to live another life outside of trucking.

He died at 50 from an accident.

4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I tried to live in a truck and save money like crazy. The problem was I loved trucking, but after a while on the road I got to a point I hated it. It progressed to the point I was on the road so much that my friends stopped calling me because I was always gone trucking. When I came home I was home for maybe a day. My biggest year as a company driver I worked probably 13 out of 14 days all year, made about 64,500. Drove like 200,000 miles. And you know what? I hated life. I knew there was a better way to trucking. I consider myself fortunate to have a business mind and am good at money management. I really have the cats ### now ... but I had to work hard to get it. No more company driving. I do it my way and I will never go back. Now I am finally able to make what I feel I am worth from trucking, but I work much less than previously as a company driver. Sure, if I lived in the truck all year I could make a real killing. But I am much happier with how I structure my work schedule now. It pretty well works out to almost exactly 5 days (or part thereof) for 7 in the truck. 2 weeks out? 4 weeks out? Home for however long. babble babble babble ....lol sorry ...

5. nofreetime

nofreetime Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Well the thread is from last year. But I'm still at it as I will be for several more years. I did have a change of plans in order of doing things however. Last year I was looking at fourplexes even made some offers. But the more I looked into real estate the more I contemplated whether I be better off using the funds I had set aside for real estate to buy a truck with cash in order to raise my income first and then put money into real estate. I finished saving the money I needed $125, 000 for the truck I wanted recently and bought it in cash earlier this month. Now I'm looking forward to starting over saving for the fourplex again but with a six figure income this time it won't take quite so long. I still work all the time. As you said you were miserable working as much as I do but its not for everybody. I love it, being as focused on my retirement as I am, and saving as much as I do for it is the most prideful thing I've ever done in my life, you know I get much more out it than just money. Just the idea of knowing that one day I'll exit the rat race probably 25yrs early is worth it. Knowing that I won't be a slave to anyone at that time, not a trucking company, or a mortgage company, a credit card company, a car finance company, or a truck finance company, like the rest of the population will be. Most people prefer to live their lives with a better work/life balance than I, but what happens is that by the time they establish true freedom in their life that they can live it for themselves or in other words by the time they retire they only have 5-10yrs before they die and all their best years are behind them, and I want better for my life.

6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    nofreetime, you are miles ahead. You have a plan and are working the plan. It seems that most folks in trucking don't have a plan, and that goes for most folks in general.

nofreetime and Longarm Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.