Livestock haulers

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by stacks, Oct 13, 2013.

1. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Lol hey you and me both missed it. I hear you on one of them days. Boss called at 11 said the trailer wasn't going to be done till middle of the week. Then calls an hour ago asking if I can load out at midnight. Uhhhh....sure I can do that. Ummm...just out of curiosity are you going to help me strap the cattle to the flatbed or am I going to have to do it myself? He just laughed and said shoot called the wrong driver.

As for the OP more than likely you're going to run the US as well as Canada. Gives you more chance on loads as well as pay. Staying loaded is the big thing. Might get $4/mile loaded on 1000 miles but you may have a 900 mile deadhead to pickup your next load. Pay all depends on the company and who you work for and how they bill it out. I'm paid FTL weather I have 10 head or 100 head on the trailer. I also do a lot of split loading. Its nothing to load up 15 head one place and 40 at the next or load 20, 20, and 20 etc. I'm not paid by weight although I have had a prorated load where my#pay was more because I had more weight than the 50,000 the customer requested. If its less I'm going to get paid less naturally and luckily I don't have that issue. You're going to run heavy and hard. Period the end. You have 20 hours to get them off after they're loaded last I knew. Anything longer and they have to have time to rest feed water etc.

Get on livestock network.com they have a few jobs up in Canada for bullhaulers. Also I'd suggest rethinking a lift on the truck. Know a couple grain haulers that had them. Steerable of course. Let's just say they came off after some close calls in the winter. Tags on the trailer are alright, I pull a spread don't really see the point in a tag that's just that much FARTHER overweight I'd be and I'm heavy enough pulling my spread. Remember you're going to run hard, fast and you won't be weighing at scales. Better learn the back roads around them and quick.

You CAN axle out a 50,000lb load in a 50x102 and be legal on gross and axles with a light truck. My 53 spread comes in tare wise at just over 35000 with a weeks worth of #### in the trailer. I have a heavy truck as well and I run full of fuel and I burn a lot of it too. Also ask about hog hauling. Its a lot of work for a lesser rate I wouldn't get in with a company that hauls hogs personally. I'll stick to hauling cattle. Guy down here thinks I'm crazy for not wanting to haul hogs and the fact that is rather bounce. I'll let him cut rates and work his ### off for a lesser rate while I'm running empty to load up more cattle.

stacks Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Don't use spreads in western Canada either... tridems are used.

4. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    I Googled 'Cow Hauler' .......... 'cause it sounds like 'Car Hauler' .......... and I got an image of a 2 axle unit ... loaded ... looks legal to me ... what's the problem ???

[​IMG]

HeWhoMustNotBeNamed Thanks this.
  5. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Only problem I see here is the #### can hit the road and isn't properly contained in the transport device. So in laments terms that lucky sob better not get caught because its $1500 if #### hits the road.

And then people wonder why women love them bull haulers. Everywhere you look you can write a book about the features of a cow haulin man.

Speedloader Thanks this.
  6. JayTee

JayTee Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Not to mention you got your pick of girlfriends every night too. :lol:

379exhd Thanks this.
  7. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    That can be said for a lot of livestock haulers I've already been in touch with two companies in southern alberta both have drivers from uk Scotland and Ireland as well as Canadians of course .

8. imnuts

imnuts Light Load Member

May 4, 2012
    Sask, Canada

If you are partial to making ends meet, paying your bills or even eating stay away from Favel!

9. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    I can drive to Canada but they won't let my dad because of the near death accident in the 90s.

10. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    ???????????????

11. lholds

lholds Bobtail Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I know this was posted a very long time ago but what things did you hear? I hear they currently have around 40 O/O's and are looking for more. They not only haul livestock but also pull reefers now as well as bulk Super B trailers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.