Load assignments

Discussion in 'TMC' started by MACK E-6, May 3, 2008.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    When you guys get your load assignments over the Qualcomm, what does the screen show?

Does it say what the commodity is?

Do they give you two or three and you take your pick?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX

Shipper name and city, state.
    Consignee name and city, state.

You can send in a macro to get the address of shipper, stop(s), consignee and routings. A lot of the times you are going to the same places and you don't need this info. I never use their routing.

Load/deliver dates and times.

PO#
    Load #
    Unload #

If you are close to a terminal whether you need to fuel and/or wash.

Commodity, weight, minimum weight, tarp or not, pieces.
    Load miles, bounce miles.
    Remarks: Any special instructions pertaining to the load.
    Gross amount if you are on percentage.
    Pro #

Second page if required for additional remarks.

Not all fields are use every time.

If multiple loads are available, your FM may or may not let you know. This is something you have to work out with him. Obviously, if you have a good relationship with him/her, in other words you are not a pain in the #####.

4. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh, okay. I thought maybe they popped up a couple and you picked one. If I were flatbedding I think I would have to base that decision on what the freight is. In other words, I'd prefer to pass on the weird stuff like small trailers, truck frames, plastic pipe, or anything else that's awful to tarp and secure.

5. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I think it is wiser to choose a load based on what it pays, how many miles it is and most importantly, what freight is available at your destination. For instance there are many good paying loads into Southern Florida. Very few good paying loads coming out. I had to take a load of sod once. I made a whopping $59.00 for a full days work. Just to get out of Southern Florida. A couple of days ago, I split a load with another TMC driver who had been stuck in North Dakota with several other TMC drivers for a two or three days because no loads were available.

You may also select a load because it is easy, light, small profile. Load can effect your mileage. Some of the loads you mentioned I would consider as easy loads. I do understand your meaning though. We all have loads we prefer. I usually will go for higher paying than any other criteria.

6. JimF

JimF "If you got it, flaunt it"

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    I'd take anything except 8 foot high lumber loads that need to be tarped. I've decided I really hate those. Maybe I'll change my moniker to nolumbertarps4me :biggrin_2559:.

7. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    :biggrin_2559:

Actually, 8 foot high lumber loads that are uniform across the top aren't so bad. Your tarps drapes properly and you don't have too much excess. I can usually tarp those pretty fast. It is the irregular loads and the ones that are not 8 feet high that are harder to tarp. You have to walk on the load after you tarp, which can be dangerous when you can't see where you are stepping, Getting your tarp even and then dealing with all the excess which has to be rolled up and bungied. The worst is a Lowes load. They stuff anything and everything on your trailer. Try walking across that even before it is tarped. Of course any load is difficult once the wind picks up. You have to have a lot of patience once the wind picks up, either that or help. This is why I will get out and help another flatbed driver, even a Maverick driver!

8. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Mack, on TMC Q COMM the work assignment reads stop and wash truck. Load can be late, but truck needs to be shiny!:biggrin_2559:

NukedNative Thanks this.
  9. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Lookin' good in the neighborhood!:biggrin_25525:

10. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    But how would you know this?

I like shingles, and cast iron pipe.

You keep a ladder handy or something to get up on top with?

Good God, they make you guys haul that junk?

I've found once that sheet metal clamps, such as those made by Vise-Grip, particularly the ones with the swivel pads, seem to help here. You can clamp one side to the rub rail while you adjust the other.

11. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Experience. Once you have pulled enough loads in a particular area, you will know where you will be going next. Sourthern Florida and North/South Dakota are three places I might avoid.

OK, that would include anything simular, airconditioners , salt, aluminum billets, and many other items. Sheet steel isn't difficult, nor is pipe or round stock. Just watch out for greasy pipe. Always, build your bulkhead. You don't always get to choose.

Ninja claws! You can climb up walls with them.!:biggrin_255: No, you can find a way up any load.

Unfortunately.

I am talking about those times when you have trouble unfolding the tarp while on top of the load. You unfold one section and before you get to the other end of your tarp it is folded again. Sometimes you have to have a lot of patience. The tarp may not stay on top of the load long enough for you to get down so you can clamp it. Anyway I can bungie it as fast as you can clamp. Another person is the answer in these situations.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.