Load is not ready please come back tomorrow

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mitmaks, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I can understand established fleets and established owner operators getting X amount for detention and TONU and putting that into their agreements. You are established. You have proven yourself. You have repeat customers.

How about for a NEW entrant? Can a new entrant be able to stay busy working and still add detention and TONU to the rate con?

Or do you just get the best rate that you can in the beginning, and after you are better established add detention and TONU?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl

Think of it this way. If a new pizza joint opened up charging ten bucks a pizza how would you as a customer text when in six months they raised their prices to 30 bucks a pizza?

Its much much easier to set the standard at the beginning of a business relationship than to change the terms later on. Sure they will think that since you are new you are just as broke as the other 99% that start up with no funds, but dont set that precedent. Know your numbers so you know what rates you must charge, know what the market will bear, and stick to it.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Can’t emphasize that enough. What’s the difference between a high end call girl and a lot lizard?

Location. You work the parking lot ONE TIME and you will never see the penthouse suite again.

It’s why we don’t pull cheap freight or do “backhauls”, “side work”, or “favors. If you have your day rate, you stick to it.

Was planning to stay out of this thread since OP was happy being cheap and considered anyone getting a grand a day detention a super trucker.

5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

In memes I see "Know Your Worth" a lot.

Pretty important to know what you bring to the table at any given point in a business relationship.

Zeviander, TripleSix and spyder7723 Thank this.
  6. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    They wasted time your truck could have spent making money. Charge them whatever you could have made that day. "Good customers" should be willing to pay you for inconveniencing you.

Tug Toy and TripleSix Thank this.
  7. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Ah, the ol call girl / lot lizard anology!!!

@TripleSix your original post of that story changed the way I operate my buissness. Personal and company and I’m 45 years old.

Thank you, if I didn’t already!

TripleSix, Hurricane69 and Ruthless Thank this.
  8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    As some have said, it has to be from the start.
    You have to make a Business plan. Then keep working that plan. Keep a spreadsheet or use something like quickbooks, any tool to accurately track you money.

Again back to knowing all your numbers.
    Your revenue, the market you serve, the lanes you want to run.

Guess what......we all started as new.
    We all learned, some was easy, some not. Some just plain hard, brutal, crushing learning.

Again back to relationships. It is an investment, mostly time. Sure you may have to give some proof that you are a solid reliable operator.

Best time to call and talk to companies you might want to work with is when you don’t need them. Always ask if they have time to talk about some future opportunities.
    Have a list of the things you want to taalk about.
    Regions, lanes and other pertinent items.

TripleSix, Dino soar and Ruthless Thank this.
  9. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    I assume all of these charges are spelled out in black and white on your load confirmation? Also, out of curiosity, what if they give you the wrong p/u or d/o address? The reason I ask is because this has happened to me (as a company driver) three times in the last 45 days.

10. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    But you wasted time and money deadheading there. Did you get anything for that? I mean, I assume you signed a load confirmation BEFORE you headed there, right?

11. gekko1323

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    I have a stupid question...what is a "carrier packet"? Is it kind of like a profile of the carrier that is sent to all the brokers?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.