load-scaling reality check

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mathematrucker, Jan 16, 2018.

1. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015

Ooops.
    My reading comprehension is null and void right now.
    I thunk he said his drives were 34500.
    I went back and looked and it was his trailer.
    I'm gonna blame it on this dude beside with optimized idle cranking every 10min that's kept me awake all night.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    OK, agreed---it's their business not mine. Unfortunately there was no such call...their business wasn't handled in advance of dropping the load many hundreds of miles from the shipper, illegal for CA.

I refused to haul the load on the grounds that I need to protect my CDL.

What ultimately happened was, the loading driver was dispatched to take it into CA. She got away with setting the kingpin-rear-axle distance at 40' 5" and completing the delivery without getting pulled in for overlength at the DOT scale.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Two ways.

Get back to shipper and have him rearrange it. Next time cat the #### thing in town. Don't go no 80 miles. What a waste of time and fuel having to go back.

Second option.

Breach trailer doors and seal, Pack ### end heavy freight to the front crawling over the cargo. About a pallet or two will be enough. And this will be a reinforcing lesson not to drive no 80 miles to a CAT scale.

I am a little slow to the rest of the thread. But oh well.

mathematrucker and uncleal13 Thank this.
  5. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    This is the correct and only answer to the ops question as asked.

tucker Thanks this.
  6. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    My drivers can scale wherever they want. But, that fuel difference is coming out of your check and your miles are not paid paid that’s 160 miles YOU are deciding to drive on YOUR own. Wasting YOUR own time. By having to go back to re work the load.

7. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Just get it going about 55 mph and slam on the brakes. That 500 pounds will move:headbang:

TravR1, Mattflat362, snowwy and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Find a cross dock, unload and reload. The reason I have a scale on my tractor. When running my own trailers, I had a scales on them for both me and my drivers. Saved a lot of headaches, and the RightWeigh scales themselves were cheap insurance at around $100 ea.

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Actually no it is not. The best answer is not to get involved with another drivers mess. They should be fixing it. (And according to op that is just what they did). Then and only if you have no other choice take load to closest scale that does not mean crossing through an open state weigh station. The op has already admitted they had 3 pieces of information at pickup. 1 Cat scale ticket 2 from a visual look no fix it room 3 first drivers statement of overweight condition. For a driver to knowingly cross through an open state scale in an over weight condition speaks more to their fitness to operate a CMV. If you are the original pickup driver of course you must scale ASAP and be ready to get load fixed if need be. Once a driver obtains better experience they can start to see signs right at door close. Never allow the shipper to place a heavy pallet beyond roughly that last 6 feet of a 53 footer or even that far in a California type area because of the way you have to set tandems. This is one drawback to drop and hook. Even if said drop and hook is a repower. You the driver has not seen how load was loaded.

Edited to fix a mistake. If you are forced to fix another drivers mistake do what you have to do that works best for the situation. No point trying to fix it if you are closer to final then shipper. If you can't fix it before having to cross an open state scale you MUST be ready to get your company safety dept involved. Let them make the call on what to do.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I had this in Los Angeles. Got to the T/A in Ontario, scaled. About 800 over on the trailer. Opened the doors, took all the boxes of ceramic tiles off the smallest skid on the back, hand bombed them all the way to the front.
    Rescaled, problem solved.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Someone else loaded it wrong and they wanted you to pull it. You refused and the driver that loaded it had to pull the load. BTW, it would be a non moving violation and wouldn’t harm your CDL...unless you didn’t pay the fine and all of your driving privileges would be suspended...which after paying the fine, you would have to pay another fee to your home state to get your license reinstated, which doesn’t hurt you when it comes time to get a job...yaddayaddayadda, that’s besides the point.

I guess I don’t play well with others. I don’t do repowers. Some drivers like to go to a shipper with minimal fuels they can load more weight. Some shippers will have their own scales to load trucks as heavy as legally possible. Some drivers, when they’re loading for someone else don’t care how things are loaded. If I didn’t load it, I don’t pull it. Why should that fool get paid to load and drop all responsibility? No one wants to pay you to fix the mess, do they?

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.