load-scaling reality check

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mathematrucker, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Actually I need to correct my last posting. If you really make them mad you will not find the load. Because it somehow got put on another trailer and is on its way with another carrier.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    That is probably the case that OR is not listing as a moving violation.

OR is confusing, in the laws concerning overweight tickets they mention it as a traffic violation, and in the the list of traffic violation fines it is not listed as a moving violation.

WA is definitely a moving violation. If you search this forum back a few years you will find a driver that posted here that got his WA license on probation and then suspended from just from overweight tickets.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I don't know about WA laws. But i'm betting he got suspended for not paying the tickets. I don't see how they can be considered moving violations. Just about anything can get you suspended these days. Just like child support.

5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    No, like I said four traffic violations a year on your WA state license will put you on probation.
    Traffic Ticket Fines & Penalties in Washington | DMV.ORG

You'll be placed on probation for one year if:

• Ticketed for 4 moving violations in 12 months.
    • Ticketed for 5 moving violations in 24 months.
    During probation, your license will be suspended for 30 days if you're ticketed with 2 moving violations or more.

When it comes to reinstate your license following the suspension, you'll be placed on another year of probation. If you're cited for one traffic violation during this second probation your driver's license will be suspended:

• 60 days for a 2nd suspension.
    • 120 days for a 3rd suspension.
    • 364 days for a 4th or subsequent suspension.
    Overweight ticket is a moving violation.

The guy in question just got overweight tickets.

6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Think of it this way. If you are driving a CMV on a highway and it is over legal weight you are illegally operating the vehicle. This may be why that state does this.

Tb0n3 Thanks this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
  8. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Yes measurement and calculation can help to balance freight. Awhile back I posted a freight-balancing mobile app that calculates the center of gravity (COG) for any given pallet configuration (assuming all pallets are the same size). The front-to-rear COG and empty axle weights together determine the loaded axle weights, so if you know in advance what the COG is for the pattern you plan to use, you can predict how balanced your load will be---before any freight actually gets loaded (assuming you have an idea what the empty axle weights are for your trailer).

9. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    "Ask your boss" is generally the right thing to do in any situation where you lack the means or authority to fix a serious problem but I would qualify that by adding "and if the need arises be prepared to defend yourself up to and including resigning from your job if necessary. There are bosses out there who will throw you under the bus without giving it a second thought. Don't ever let them, under any circumstance."

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. mathematrucker

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Have a quick question:

Is the 53-foot mark on a given 53' trailer generally even with the back of the doors, the back of the door latch assembly, the back of the tail light housings, or the back of the rubber bumpers? Or maybe there is no universal 53-foot mark?

The reason I ask is because it's much easier to measure the bridge distance from the rear of the trailer (must have at least ten feet to the rear axle for CA) than from the kingpin (cannot have more than 40 feet to the rear axle for CA). But to do this reliably, you have to know exactly where the "rear" is.

11. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Don't get lost in this. States are not uniform on where these measurements start. You really need to buy a truckers atlas. ALL the information you need for this is in there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.