Load securement class?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Toddes, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Toddes

Toddes Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Fawn Grove pa
    Has any o/o or anyone for that matter ever took one of these classes? How much was it and was it worth it? I have loaded and unloaded equipment with dad and on my own but I dont have verifiable expierence! So if I was to take one of these classes ? Is it worth it?

7mouths2feed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    where are those classes? i figure anything that i can learn that enhances my experience is worth looking into. if you can get info please let me know
    thanks

7mouths2feed Thanks this.
  4. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Some companies put on their own.

Like Landstar.

I've never been to one. But I hear they are good for learning the DOT regs as well as give you a few pointers along the way that you might not have thought for securing stuff.

5. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    You may want to contact your State's lead MCSAP Agency. Usually the State Police or in some States it is DOT. I know our Agency puts on saftey talks for companies. Companies contact us and ask to have a presenter and what topics they want covered. I've done 5 so far this year. The way I usually do it is I have a powerpoint presentation that I customize to what is to be covered. Some companies want basic truck information, hours of service, load securement, pre-trip/post trip etc. It is much better to get the infoemation out in a presentation like that, then having to pass it on a roadside on an inspection. And we don't charge any fees for this. Not sure about other States.

6. luvtheroad

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Thanks so much, I'll look into it.

7. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    I have not taken such a class and have not pulled a skate board since 1969. However, I heard that the steel mills at Gary/Hammond conducted three-day classes years ago. More recently, a Michigan motor carrier officer gave a tie-down presentation to the West Michigan chapter of the American Truck Historical Society.

luvtheroad Thanks this.
  8. Toddes

Toddes Bobtail Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Fawn Grove pa
    Man what a response! I will make some calls and see what I can find out! All state called back today but I have no answer of yet on whether they have one or not! Because I get home too late to catch the guy at the office! I left a message for him and we will see! Thanks again everyone! I have paperwork here for Land Star and I was wondering Brickman what is your thoughts of pulling a van or a flatbed for them! I want to own my own truck and do things on my own but I have a Mortgage and I am not the kind of person that jumps into anything to quickly with out getting my ducks in a row! I am meeting with a CPA next week so I can discuss the business end of it and see what the bottom line is! I was looking at schneider but at 1.17 it just is not worth it! So I think anyway! Just that 1.17 is just over 50% of the fuel cost alone! I just dont know how you are supposed to be able to cver everything with half going for fuel! Thanks for your time..

9. luvtheroad

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    As a lot of you know I'll be doing my own thing. But, I won't do it until I feel secure in what I'm doing. I've been around long enough to have seen a lot of disasters caused by not securing freight. If you're gonna do it, it's got to be done correctly.
    Thanks everyone for all the good advice, I'll let you know where I get info.

10. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Your not taking into consideration the fuel cap(FSC), insurance ,IFTA filings, maintenance and the tires and parts discounts available etc. Once you factor those things in the $1.17 doesn't look so bad. Heartland is .90 cents/mi.:biggrin_25511: lol Big Orange already looks better :yes2557: hahahaha

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.