Load to put your children through college

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by jeffman164, Jan 8, 2020.

1. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    except you did say it.. You went off the deep end because I said I accepted $1,7k load for 1100 miles late on a Fri afternoon where if I didn't take it I'd be sitting at a truck stop all weekend. The point I was making to the other poster was not to take cheap freight, but rather sometimes you will take it because it's the best option and it wont be the end of the world. I was making the point that sometimes it's you who wins and sometimes it's the broker or the customer who wins.. No one on either side is winning every time..

It's not guys like me who are bastardizing the industry..it's the mega carriers who are trying to keep their trucks rolling and bid the rates to nothing.. Look at cars as prime example.. I see cars on the boards all the time for .30/mile... Whos taking them? Sure as hell isn't me..No it you guys with your 9/10 car haulers because you add up 8 or 9 cars at .30/mile and you are still making good money..

So you go to pick up 3 cars for a regular at the auction and then you notice there is a 4th car here going nearly the same place for .30/mile.. You know #### well your're just gonna take it. because it's not costing you any more to run your load and you know #### well if you're an independent picking your own loads not some company driver you are stacking that car on and rolling.. and if you are a company driver your company will do the same #### thing..

Yet you are still moving cheap freight so every one is doing that ####. You can get all high and mighty and pretend you don't but everyone takes cheap freight at one point or another.. So trying to come off like I'm ruining your industry because I only made a $1.55 on a load is just ridiculous...

You know how many brokers laugh at me when I tell them that I wont touch the car for .50 or .60 or they try to get you to run a F550 for .50/mile and I say are you crazy? Then they say well the big car carriers take those rates..... Straight up if you are moving a 8k lbs+ truck it should be at least $1/mile but you think any of these brokers will pay that? No they wont in most cases, because they know sooner or later one of you 9 car guys will take it for .40 or .50 cents a mile and toss it on the back of your load.

..and for the record yes I have full insurance just the same as any of you, covering autos, freight, equip ect.. Just because I'm smaller doesn't mean I get that any cheaper..The only advantage I have over you guys on insurance is I can get away with $1/mil/100k vs most car carriers need over the $100k min due to the amount of cars you haul..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    First and foremost it wasn’t until AFTER you posted the $1700 for 1100 miles that you said you were a step deck non car hauler. You said $1700 for the load. A load in my world is 7 or more units not 2 or 3. I have no issue with you or anyone taking a $0.50/mile unit. Details are important though in an online conversation.

Regarding Mega carriers, no. They are getting the right rates but they post them on central very much discounted and pocket the difference. And as long as drivers are willing to pick up cars at those posted cheap rates they will continue to post them at those rates. Simply supply and demand. And yes there are plenty of car haulers taking things at $0.30/mile, or less and they are bastardizing the industry because they have an attitude of something is better than nothing, simple fact.

Anyway, thanks for doing your part at $0.50+/mile/unit, even if it’s only 2 units. Every little bit helps.

Hulld Thanks this.
  4. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    If you can’t beat them, join them. I hear most of the Mega carriers have waiting lists of applicants.

5. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    No interest in that option. My goal is to get rig paid for and then i can back down a bit and haul more because I enjoy doing it than because I need too.

6. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    From what I am gathering is that everyone on here is in agreement with the mantra " say no to cheap freight " and that is all that matters.

7. Doealex

Feb 21, 2018
    Einstein would disagree with you. It’s cheap for me and you, but for someone who is used to get paid $100 a month in their country it is not cheap.

Kozakvod Thanks this.
  8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    The cost of living in their country is also $100 compared to usa

9. Doealex

Feb 21, 2018
    Agreed. And until their cost of living is equal to ours trucking wages will always go down.

10. Doealex

Feb 21, 2018
    It’s not only people from third world countries move here to drive. Just yesterday I met a driver from Germany. He was complaining that taxes are high there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.