Loaded this beauty on Tues..

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by crocky, Mar 26, 2022.

1. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019

What did you have it in?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rccarlson22

rccarlson22 Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2019
    yeah you got a smokin deal on that truck. I bet you could throw it up for $100k+. I saw one of those vans you been looking at too. 2003 E350 with a small 36” sleeper. It was up in Independence, OR

4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Not extensively but just enough of it with a truck I drove for an owner-operator last year for a couple weeks. Had a lot of problems with it out in Wyoming to the point were we agreed to disagree about how to proceed with the truck at that point and it was time for me go home. Very long story short it quit on me several times and had to be towed twice leaving me stranded in Rawlins for about a week. His mechanic in OKC had put new injectors in it a couple weeks prior, and didn't put the injector wiring harness back together right...about 3000 miles or so later a valve spring had rubbed a hole in the wiring causing a short and cutting out 2 of the cylinders. After huge tow bill #1, the CAT shop in Cheyenne discovers and fixes that mess along with grid heater relay for me. Made it about 10-15 miles west of Rawlins and it starts quitting on me again as I pull into a truck parking exit. Tow truck #2 takes me back to Rawlins were I get stuck for 5 days until the independent shop there determines they can't find anything wrong the truck after doing some tests and driving it around. This was all after it quit on me twice following the repairs at CAT in Cheyenne and I knew something else was up. Kid's dad doesn't believe me or thinks I'm making stuff up or something, so I go home and they drive one of their other guys up to Rawlins to take the truck. From what I hear it eventually made it Brigham City, UT after quitting several more times and there it sat at another shop for several months until they determined the ECM was no good. I think the truck's back on the road now. Quite an adventure there with that one.

rccarlson22 Thanks this.
  5. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Just remember you can't get 19.5's at any of the truck stops.. Don't the 22's get you better MPG?

6. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Speaking of other types of trucks..I saw this in Tusla the other day and snapped a pic as he drove away.. These older Volvo single axle day cabs are a dime a dozen. I see them on Facebook Market place all the time in the $8-15k range (probably find them cheaper in the auctions if you take your time). The thing is you can get one of these as a pre-2000 truck so no elogs and get one with a Detriot 60 in it or a Cummins. Way more power than the Cats or cummings that come in the Med Duty trucks. Also can get them with an actual 10 speed.

In all honesty, if I were to go to an airbrake truck I'd probably do exactly what this guy did. Buy a cheap day cab and stick a sleeper on it. That's likely shorter than a crew cab pickup. (with that said it really needs to have 2ft or so added to the frame so you can mount a 5th wheel instead of the ball hitch way at the back like this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Todd727 Thanks this.
  7. jeffman164

jeffman164 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
  8. Todd727

Todd727 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2021
    You know, that isn't a horrible idea for someone that wants to tow a gooseneck around the ranch or a fifth-wheel RV. Probably could stretch the frame and put a bigger sleeper on it too and end up with a rig that matches what these high-dollar RV haulers for a lot less money.

9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

I was meaning use it for hotshot.. It wouldn't be a bad set up because it's small. Most of the single axle sleeper Semis are still pretty long and almost at the point you might as well have a full semi. The way that is set up with the small 36" sleeper, if you could add just a bit to the frame or even take a cheap tandem axle and make it a single but move the rear axle in it's would be about right.

Anyway with cars which I'm mostly doing, I often have to get in tight areas or residential so most semi's even single axle are kinda big for the job. That set up even with 36 inches added to the frame to get ta 5th wheel back on it, would still be about the length of a crew cab pickup. I know tht truck in the picture as it was was shorter than my 5500.

Anyway, you would then get air breaks, a D60 or Cummins and a 10 speed in a truck the same length as a standard crew cab, but a bit taller and a little bit wider.

24kHotshot Thanks this.
  10. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I try to avoid going into residential neighborhoods if I can even when I run the truck without a trailer and ask the customer to meat at the nearest shopping area with a large parking lot. I usually scope out the pick/drop location after I book them and decide if it's roomy enough to go in with a truck. Most customers are understanding and meet without issue.

crocky Thanks this.
  11. Todd727

Todd727 Light Load Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Agree with everything you said.

crocky Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.