local and/or dedicated salary drivers?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by BNR32, May 11, 2012.

1. BNR32

BNR32 Heavy Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    denver, CO
    i got a call out of the blue from you guys, offering me a job that they say is about 55% local, but filling in for dedicated routes around my region as needed. a flat salary, which i was suprised to find wasnt a terrible offer. weekends off, even while out of state filling in.

i just figure it might sound too good to be true, as dumb as i know it is i miss otr but would never go back out there full time, so this could be a great fit in that regard.
    any of you guys doing this sort of thing or any of the dedicated driving in the co/wy/ne/mt region or elsewhere have any input? i figure there have to be some downsides, obviously its hard to get that out of a recruiter.

it seems weird i would get asked since i ended up choosing another carrier years ago when i started and havnt talked to them since, i would guess if it was that sweet there would have to be a 5 mile line of you otr guys waiting for something like that to open up. i was on a waiting list for over a year with my old carrier to be regiona or local, and it never happened.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gtshef

gtshef Bobtail Member

May 13, 2012
    It sounds like dedicated GMSPO relief driver. The work is delivering parts to GM dealers or line hauling the loads to the route drivers. Your there to fill in when they need someone to cover do to vacation, quitting, sick, HOS, etc. I'm on a route in Ar. it is mainly night driving and working Tue-sat. Line hauls drop and hook. Routes full hand unload multi stops. Relief drivers sometimes don't know one day from the next when or where there gonna go. Like any job in trucking there's good and bad.

4. BNR32

BNR32 Heavy Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    denver, CO
    thanks for the info. it sounds like a definite step up from otr if nothing else, its a tough call. i miss driving, LOVE my new schedule-3 12's and a 7-cake for anyone who has spent any time driving haha...only problem with going back to a normal-ish job, its soooo boring. 1 week here is like a month driving, time just drags.

you in the same truck or is it a lot of changing? im assuming daycabs with the conversation i had.

5. KE5WDP

KE5WDP Road Train Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Caddo Lake, Texas
    We were in salary for about 7 months on the Masonite account out of Dallas. It's a good deal. But when they moved us to mileage, it got better. It's the real deal. That is coming from a driver who has done it.

6. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Jump on it. Cuz that's exactly what I'm gonna do if it ever comes available to
    Me. Which is highly unlikely. :(

7. gtshef

gtshef Bobtail Member

May 13, 2012
    I run a day cab some have single sleepers. You could slip seat. It just depends. Some do some dont. We pull pups, doubles, 48 and 53ft trls depending on route. I've been on it for 7yrs. mostly overnight driving.

8. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    In charlotte they have dedicated support position paying up to $975 a week depending on experience. Have to have really good backing skills hazmat and a wonderful smile. I turned it down

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

9. PayCheck

PayCheck Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2012
    ca
    I worked in schneider dedicated for awhile.

Sometimes it's not a bad gig, sometimes is total BS.

If you have a regular run it's a pretty good job and the pay is reasonable. You might be able to move into something like that once you get your foot in the door.

If your a floater it's about like regional with some weekends off depending on what your covering.

If it's GM, Ford, or some of the dollar stores there is going to be some hard hand unloads, at night and in any kind of weather. If you don't like breaking your back don't sign up, it can be brutal sometimes.

All in all it's a good way to get better home time, a consistent pay check, and if you can get a regular run it can turn into a few years of easy experience.

I'd do it if your not thrilled with the company your with now.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.