Local career ? But what type?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by asphaltreptile311, Nov 10, 2019.

1. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I make $65k to $70k hauling containers, never use zip ties or duct tape, and I've passed my last 3 level 1's with flying colors. Junk container haulers depends on the region, the port, and the local authorities, and how much pride drivers and companies take in their equipment.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Tell me about it, now, I prefer a night job, driving is so much easier, but I hear ya'. I've been retired from a truck for over 10 years, and if you'll notice some of my post times, many are at 1 or 2 am. To this day, I take a nap in the afternoon, and I'm up at 11pm every night.

tscottme, FlaSwampRat and PE_T Thank this.
  4. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I'm totally used to it. I don't know if I will ever be able to sleep at night again lol. Even if I stay awake all day on purpose to try to flip my sleep schedule it still doesn't work and I'll be up all night until about 5 am then I'll fall asleep and wake up around noon.

Rideandrepair, PE_T and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Yep my normal schedule.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Local, hourly, Truckload freight. With overtime available. 5 days 60 hrs wk. I used to do food service, and also LTL. Food service just plain isn’t worth the pay. The days drag out in a dreadful way. Cut throat greedy industry. Chews you up, and spits you out. NEXT !! LTL is at least humane. Treated with respect. Done right. It can be a very good Job.Usually the day goes by fast. Got to get the OT. Working in the city. That’s where the moneys at.Id take $23 hr./60 hrs. Over $26 hr./40 hrs. making $1610 a wk.vs $1040. O.T. After 40 hrs. It adds up.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  7. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Define "customer". Yea the station owners are friendly but the people at the gas stations filling their cars are awful. My equipment gets run over on a weekly basis and one time I was delivering to a busy station during rush hour and I guy yelled from across the station "hey #$$hole, isn't there a better time for you to be doing that?"

Miss Ed, Rideandrepair and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Nighttime is the right time for trucking. Just ask any vampire driver.

201, FlaSwampRat and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I'll second that

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’m the same way. Now my Wife also, As She’s been riding with Me for a couple years now, can’t get schedule turned around.We've always been Night Owls, I like my schedule, never need an alarm.

Fold_Moiler, FlaSwampRat and PE_T Thank this.
  11. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I’m a second shift guy, I wake up at 5am and hate it. I’m asleep until noon, then wired at 11 trying to go to bed.

I’m gonna try and see if I can weasel my way into a new job for myself if we can ever get staffed up. Create a second shift low boy driver job. We need a guy to move machines anyways.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.