Local company billing me for damages?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Hayabusa55, Oct 31, 2013.

1. driver7702003

driver7702003 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    FLORIDA
    When you confess that you did it and its on record you should just pay it an be done with it you may get a little respect if you dont that store can stop doing bussiness with youre comp and there is no telling how many other stores they own and if that happens you costed the comp you work for alot more than 250 $ and they can fire you ask youre labor board

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Silvermitts

Silvermitts Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Ga
    Question -
    On the day of the accident , did you tell your co. about it , take pictures etc. ?

4. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    A new truck to just drive is worth the money! I hope they took it out a little at a time.

5. fld

fld Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2012
    I don't believe they can MAKE you pay that if it wasn't already agreed to. Was there a reason that you hit the door? (like they didn't want you to leave it open, or they kept closing it on you, etc.)

I don't believe they can fire you, either. But what they can do is write it up as an incident and write you up for anything and everything until they eventually fire you, if that's what they want to do.

I would call the board of labor relations in your state, if you do not have a union shop. You'd be surprised the power that they have.

When I lived in California, I worked for a company that was going broke. They wouldn't pay my delay time and part of my salary. So I went to the labor board. It didn't take long and I got a check, and it was for more than I was asking. Here, I had accrued vacation time and didn't even know that it was owed to me. And they paid it in full.

Start there and if you need more resources, I am sure they can help. :sign7:

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I'm hoping you're making enough that you can swing $250. Just pay it.

If anything I'd argue to take it out in installments.

We have a "damage pool" at my place.
    I can't remember if we pay into it, or we repay it after an incident, but,,, well, I hit a car.
    A NEW car,,
    on a test drive,,
    with a potential buyer,,
    and one VERY angry sales puke.

(I can laugh now,,, because I was sick with nerves when this happened.)

Needless to say the joke for the next year was, "we can't fire [Infosaur] he owes us too much money!"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.