local delivery, home state delivery etc

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by jeffaj01, Oct 23, 2012.

1. jeffaj01

jeffaj01 Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2012
    I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack from everyone but...
    So I'm interested in starting up a small business (one person) delivering locally, here in Indiana, warehouse to warehouse, personal house etc etc. I'm wanting to use a non cdl box truck, 24-26' non air brake setup. What is involved in something of this nature? I'm just looking to get some general info from some experienced drivers out there that have knowledge in the area of owning and operating. I'm not looking to get rich, I don't need to make a lot, just enough to put a little in my pocket and pay the business costs. Any info would be great!
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 900,000-tons-of-steel

900,000-tons-of-steel Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Florida
    Just DON'T use a former moving truck (Penske, Ryder, U-Haul, etc.) as they're way heavier than other box trucks.

4. jeffaj01

jeffaj01 Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Figured as much, they all seem pretty well worn out. I'd like a diesel, manual. If not diesel, def. Manual. I like some of the international trucks, I think 98-01. Would like something with a lift gate, but also lines up with a dock door.
    Thanks for the tip
    Jeff

5. SierraMike

SierraMike Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    If it's a non-CDL truck, there is very little involved. You basically get a tax ID number and a business license. Buy a truck that fits your needs and begin advertising your services. If you are hauling other peoples stuff, you may need to register with the PRC, but Im not sure. Something you could look into is buying into the franchise "Two men and a truck", or any other similar companies.

6. jeffaj01

jeffaj01 Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2012
    Thanks, I've looked into "college hunks hauling junk" but not really wanting to do a franchise type business. May sound stupid, but what is "PRC"?

Jeff

7. SierraMike

SierraMike Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    The PRC is the Public Regulation Commission. I know companies that operate tow trucks, ambulances and taxis are required to register with them. You may be required to register if you are hauling belongings for somebody. In my business, we go around picking up donations with a box truck. We are not required to register, because the belongings become our property as soon as they are handed to our driver. Check into your states PRC and see if they require registration. It should be somewhere on your states website.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.