local NC work?

Discussion in 'Seek Employment' started by chief, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    anybody know of local work I could do in North Carolina? I have over 2 years experience OTR. I have no desire to go back OTR or go back to 14-16 hour work days. in other words, I'm no longer interested in giving up my life in order to make a living. I hauled fuel for 2 days but couldn't do the strenuous physical labor involved. basically I'm looking for a reasonable 8 hour day without having to strain my guts out moving stuff. the trucking job I would like most likely doesn't exist, does it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Designors

Designors Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    NM
    I was going to suggest fuel truck .... plenty of companies there for it .... but you already tried that .... as for the 8 hour job .... doubt it .... the only thing that I would be able to suggest with that is a small job somewheres that probably pays $8 / hr

4. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina

Have you looked on CraigsList? There was a man in Shelby looking for a truck driver....home nights and weekends....try and see if he is still posted there under transportation....good luck!

5. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    Got news for ya bud. I have work more 14 hour days working local than otr. And the pay is lousy usually.
    But around here there is allot of logging and chip trucks around. Oil field stuff too. pay just isn't all that great

6. PigPen

PigPen Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Sumter, SC
    my suggestion would be logs/chips or livestock, depending on where you are in nc. i wouldn't bet on finding that 8 hr job though.

7. bbkeo

bbkeo Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2007
    winston salem nc
    There are a couple of companies in Winston and Greensboro that you could look into. I know that Salem Carriers is always needing people. They have full and part time positions open. They are not the best company in the world and the pay isn't all that great but I guess it depends on what you are looking for. There is also several temp services in Greensboro. I can't remember the name of them right now but they are easy to find. Both of them are over off of Wendover behind the auto auction. There is also Milan. They are usually looking for part time drivers for line haul runs.

8. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    luckylady - I couldn't find the ad. besides, I'm 110 miles from Shelby.

bbkeo - I noticed Salem always has an ad in the paper for Atrium Windows/Doors. I called and talked to a recruiter. I don't think I asked him about local stuff. what keeps them from being "the best company?"

honestly, I wouldn't mind working part time (which in the trucking world would probably be about 40-50 hours a week!) I'm not really that concerned with making bookoos of money - I just don't want to go back to $7/hr security work. I like trucking and am pretty good at slinging a rig around. I just don't want to go back OTR - just don't have the heart for it. I enjoyed it the first couple years, but it's time to move onto something else.

9. bbkeo

bbkeo Light Load Member

Oct 7, 2007
    winston salem nc
    I have a buddy that worked as a switcher for them over at one of the old Sara Lee now Hanes plants. He was working 40-50 hours a week set schedule making $12 and hour. They also have day drivers that move product from on plant to another all over NC and VA. Those guys get paid by the mile. I am not sure how much they make. I do know they work 60-70 hours a week. The Atrium drivers are out 5-7 days at a time and you have to tailgate your freight. They usually have have positions open in several different places. The biggest thing my buddy ever complained about was he wasn't making enough. But if you are ok with $12 and hour than I guess they wouldn't be so bad. Good luck in your job search. If you have any other questions just let me know.

10. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    "old Sara Lee now Hanes..." LOL!! Hanes was running a looooong time before anybody ever heard of sara lee. just rode by their stratford road plant today. sad to think they don't make anything here any more. not as sad as what happened to Kannapolis though.

11. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    You sound like me. You need to ind a private fllet. that would be my recomendation.They are more out and back type runs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.