Local owner operators.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by MikeGeiss89, Aug 16, 2018.

1. MikeGeiss89

MikeGeiss89 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Hello, My name is Michael Geiss. I'm out of Delaware and I'm doing research on becoming an owner operator. I do not want to go OTR. I would do regional maybe. I'm just looking for all the advice and help on whether or not to even consider this route. Please any and all advice is apperciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    How much experience in Trucking do you have? If none, I would highly advise getting your CDL and working for a company until you can learn where the freight is in your area of choice. Along with gaining knowledge of how trucks work, maintenance, etc , etc.

86scotty, MikeGeiss89 and Puppage Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  5. MikeGeiss89

MikeGeiss89 Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2018
    I have just a year under my belt. I just want to know if it is fesible to be a local O/O. I don't think I want to go full blown trying to find loads. I think I want to try and find a company. Any thoughts on this?

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Google for "drayage/intermodal" companies in your area. Some of those drivers use day cabs.

MikeGeiss89 and 86scotty Thank this.
  7. Tacomatrd99

Tacomatrd99 Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Curious on this as well. Just getting ready to get back into trucking, and it would be part of my 3-5 year plan to become an o/o, but locally.

8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    You have to look around where you are located. What industry do you have? No one can give you an accurate answer without knowing what your area offers you. Steel haulers within an hour of the mills can be home every night usually. Same with guys working off the piers. Or container haulers.You have to look at the work available to you close by and how far it goes also. It doesn't help you if a local factory has tons of work if it all goes 500 to 1000 miles away. Good luck.

Ruthless and MikeGeiss89 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.