Local tanker/hazmat jobs for new drivers

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Sigefrid, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Sigefrid

Sigefrid Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2019
    I am looking for local work with tankers. I only have 3 months OTR experience, and do not want to continue doing OTR/regional.

Do any of you guys know of any companies that would hire for local work with tankers with that little experience? I’m willing to relocate anywhere besides the Northeast and the west coast.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    12 months exp. Would be your best chance to hook up with a tanker co. To be trained

Texas_hwy_287 and ChicagoJohn Thank this.
  4. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    What state/area do you currently live in? It is always easier to find a job in the market you live in verse trying to relocate.

If relocation is a big plus to you tell us where you want you move.

Edit: some ideas you can look at...Saftey Kleen/Clean Harbors. (Any enviromental waste company), The obvious local fuel hauling class A or B. Septic, who ever has the contract to haul the leachate water from your local landfill. Airgas or equivalent. Some construction company’s have their own tankers to handle rain/run off water when doing work near wetlands.

Not to sound cliché, but when you see a daycab yanking a tank write the company name down & google them.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Sigefrid Thanks this.
  5. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but with only 3 months experience you're going to have to work to find a local tanker position. Try applying to QC, might hire & train you. I would stick to regional for at least a year. After a year, more does will open.

slim shady Thanks this.
  6. Sigefrid

Sigefrid Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2019
    I live right outside of Baton Rouge. I have seven or eight different companies who would hire me, but only for OTR.
    As for relocation, I’d be willing to go anywhere. I just hate OTR that much. But if I could go anywhere, back up in the mountains is where I’d go. There’s a company in Montana I’m looking at, but I don’t know if they’d go for someone relocating that far.
    I am definitely going to check out Airgas, and I’ll call QC today. There is also a local propane delivery company that I have connections to, but I don’t know if moving to single axle would be a good idea. It might make it difficult for me to get back to tandems.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

7. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Loves aka Gemini hires cdl graduates but its totally up to the manager of the area. Some managers only want ppl with experience. And others will give a new driver a chance.

Loves has fuel, crude oil, LPG, or tire hauling to choose from depending on the area your in. But the tire hauling position is SOLID LABOR!!! Fuel is about the best but you will slip seat trucks. Crude and LPG hauling is hit or miss.beceuse loves is a third part carrier in these areas.

But they have more LPG work in LA, and MS than most other areas. And they have finally brought back the layover pay. And increased the minimum daily pay to $300 in some areas.

There is a big 5yr bonus if you don't have any safety issues. But I feel loves will phase it bbn out as most guys take the payout and quit. It ranges from $18k to $45k depending on your yearly earnings over the 5yrs.

Sigefrid Thanks this.
  8. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I work for TWT. We have a terminal in Channelview TX (Houston). Those guys are mostly local.

TaterFox Thanks this.
  9. Exit310

Exit310 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    cullman,alabama
    Try Dupre Logistics in your area, they will train you & they have a sign on bonus along with benefits starting on your first day.

10. Ridlingdj

Ridlingdj Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Check with local fertilizer companies hauling liquid fertilizer to farmers they are probably pretty busy right about now I know we are using 2 semi loads a day on my farm right now

11. Drake.r

Drake.r Light Load Member

May 15, 2015

Sounds to me like you could’ve made a better career choice. Maybe you’d be better off going back to whatever you were doing for a paycheck 3 months ago

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.