Local tanker to OTR flatbed

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by angrytrans, Jun 9, 2018.

1. angrytrans

angrytrans Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH
    My wife and I have been driving tanker local for a few years now. Im ex army and diesel mechanic, she is a ex CDL instructor for a CDL course at a local college. We both left our tank jobs and went to a towing company for a few months. I ran heavy wrecker and flatbed and she ran flat, but it only lasted about 3 months due to not agreeing with managment, so we went back to the tanker outfit. Now we approaching the empty nesters lifestyle and want to go OTR, we have saved $20,000 to get our own truck and plan to lease to mercer ( IV read the entire mercer thread and it took 6 months to do so) but they won't hire us without a year of OTR .so IV talked to Melton maverick and TMC .Looking mainly towards maverick. Anyone know any better outfits in the southern Ohio area that may be interested in us?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Wow and double wow you've got to be the 2 most experienced potential team drivers i've yet to meet both with multiple qualifications, not sure why the mega's would knock you back though your wife surely could sign on as a trainer unless they feel she's not qualified to teach drivers what to do while driving OTR? Any way i can't see you having a problem getting a new start doing 12 months with a company then getting your own truck the future issues you will have though is managing your own company now all the problems will be transferred onto you, with $20,000 unless you get a lease you won't be able to buy a very new truck.

angrytrans Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check if Admiral Merchants Motor Freight has anything you like.
    [​IMG]

angrytrans Thanks this.
  5. angrytrans

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH
    Well I'm not sure if this is a sarcastic post or not but if it's not then.... Most megas will hire us with no issues assuming we do thier " training" as in ride with someone that probably has less experience overall driving then we do, but as far as being O/O we have no issues with IV rebuilt Cummins, maxxforce, and paccar engines from the ground up so no issues there as far as maintenance goes. It's just he OTR experience that's keeping us from getting straight into a better non training company. We both have impeccable credit and have loans approved through our local back for a truck with 5,000 down, overall loan for 75,000. We are just looking for a good OTR flatbed company that will hire a good team with just local and regional work.

6. angrytrans

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH
    I'll take a look at them. IV seen them mentioned before but will they hire a team with 5 years driving local? We have tanker hazmat doubles/ triples and our passports . Just no OTR

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I don't know, contact them and check it out.
    I heard about a company, but don't know if they're ok. Boasso Global. I think they're Dutch owned.
    Wagonners Trucking Co. hires teams and 0/0's. www.waggonerstrucking.com

angrytrans Thanks this.
  8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    If you want to make money doing it and have a life too, check with ODFL or Estes.

angrytrans Thanks this.
  9. angrytrans

Feb 18, 2018
    Woodsfield,OH
    I'll do some digging and see what I come up with thanks for the help.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Senn Freight Lines in South Carolina does lots of west coast runs. They'll probably hire you as company drivers. Ask if they hire teams. They're flatbed.

angrytrans Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    That's true. Can possible make 1/4 million dollars as a team doing coast to coast runs.

angrytrans Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.