Log book vs. 100 mile radius rule

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by 508darrinh, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Moving Forward

Moving Forward Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
    "Little details" like that do matter when groups like the DOT get involved... and our license is on the line.
    Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yes, it is a myth that you need a log book jut to cross the state lines. The short haul exemption is for the Federal regs that apply to Interstate trucking.

MACK E-6 and Moving Forward Thank this.
  4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That JJ Keller rep was an idiot who doesn't know the job he's doing. State lines don't matter, only the 100 air-mile radius. If you never cross a state line, you're intRAstate and the fmcsa only has regulatory power over intERstate operations...unless you're carrying hazmat.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I cross into Delaware on my run routinely, sometimes twice, and don’t get asked for a log for that reason.

Moving Forward Thanks this.
  6. Moving Forward

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
    Thanks for the info folks, as I was rather surprised at how many specific questions the JJ Keller rep avoided or simply did not answer during our training. However, the one I spoke with yesterday on the phone (after just a 20 minute wait on hold) was very good and had an issue resolved within 10 minutes. Like most things, we'll surely hit some bumps in the road on this new mandate.

7. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Here is the problem with JJ Keller. Their field reps are nothing more than sales reps, their "training" usually consists of a very narrow presentation designed to get management to buy a subscription to one of their services. In your case their "trainer" most likely only knows the feature set of their eld, not much about the regulations behind the device or hos in general.

You don't usually get access to anyone knowledgable in the field, phone consult only. Before I started my consulting businesss I tried applying to Keller and was told they would hire me as a field rep. Sounded good until we got into the details like I only got paid a percentage of what I sold, would be limited to a paticular product line and was not allowed to go off script even if I knew the answer. That is why I say no thanks and started my own compliance company alongside my auto transport company. It is also why I participate in forums like this, to help spread correct info as much as possible.

8. Moving Forward

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
    That's very interesting, and I'd like to learn more about our other options. How can I learn more about the services your company provides?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.